Cambearing install

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Cambearing install

Post by Belgian1979 »

SBC: what is the best way to install the cam bearings (have the tool to do it with). Novice at this. The tool has the cone type plug and the one to push the bearings in. The cone type one can also be pushed into the bearing one in order to keep everything square, but that would mean I need to get the first one installed and how do you then keep that bearing square to the bore?
Elroy
Pro
Pro
Re: Cambearing install

Post by Elroy »

You install the back one from the front, then the front one from the back....using the cone. If we're on the same page here, or talking about the same tool?
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Elroy wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:06 pm You install the back one from the front, then the front one from the back....using the cone. If we're on the same page here, or talking about the same tool?
This tool.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384419080845
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Put in #1 bearing from the rear. Then put in the others from the front.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

One piece of advice (ok 2) ... be sure to slightly chamfer the block so that the edge doesn't shave the back of the bearing.... and of course get the oil hole lined up correctly.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Another piece of advice. Put the bearings in one at a time. I start from the back and work my way forward. After each bearing try the camshaft in it. That way if you get one that is tight and needs scraping you will know which one was the culprit. Also make sure you put the oil holes in the proper position. Should be around 2 oclock facing the front of the engine like it sits in the car.
cam bearing holes jpeg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

also stand the block upright on the floor to do the deed. this really simplifies things as gravity takes care of the hard part.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

bentvalves wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:20 pm also stand the block upright on the floor to do the deed. this really simplifies things as gravity takes care of the hard part.
Thanks. I can imagine this making it a lot easier.
Also thanks for all the tips.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I made my own SBC installer with the end of an old cam then I took a upper timing gear ground it down to just bigger that the cam. bolt it all together using a 5/8" half inch socket with a long extension to drive the bearing in. All worked well until I bought some durabond bearings that were too tight and the cam would not spin at all (should have checked prior) so I put Enginetech brand in, all is good now.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Are Durabonds tight?
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

They are usually very reliable. The blocks vary though.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

I don't understand this illustration. On a V8, there's two "loads", the left lifter bank, and the right lifter bank, plus the minor issue of the cam gear/timing chain pulling down particularly on the front cam bearing.

Point is, which "load" are we setting up for?
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

The illustration shows bearing hole is preferably located so the rotation of the cam pulls the oil into the load points you mentioned.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Schurkey wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:12 pm Image

I don't understand this illustration. On a V8, there's two "loads", the left lifter bank, and the right lifter bank, plus the minor issue of the cam gear/timing chain pulling down particularly on the front cam bearing.

Point is, which "load" are we setting up for?
Look at where the old bearing is worn and figure it out.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

modok wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:22 pm Look at where the old bearing is worn and figure it out.
EXCELLENT answer.