Guru
Two piece connecting rod design.

Post by rebelrouser »

stealth
Guru
Guru
Re: Two piece connecting rod design.

Post by stealth »

Hmmm Mine are always two pcs. How else do you fit the rod over the crank?

3pcs. if you consider the small end bushing.
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

I see 6 parts: upper connection to piston, 2 wedgie bits, pin, lower conrod, cap. Heavier, more expensive, more failure points.
20-30% more dynamic compression? Need to see the dater and not a simulation.
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

How does that reduce lateral forces against the cylinder wall or piston rock like they claim? It looks like it would be worse.
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
434 SBC 11:1, 1.294, 6.178 @ 108.87, 9.81 @ 134.93 (3060#, Naturally Aspirated, Sunoco Ultra 94)
Chopper Air Port 917-589-1278
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

looks interesting, hopefully some dyno testing is coming. Will the new pin share some of the downward force with the crankshaft ? And as it goes down eventually there will be a point where its not really pushing on the crank but only on that pin ?
Lots of questions for an engineer !! not me !
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

Can you even imagine the rod ratio arguments that this could ignite? Better run for the hills now, or turn your computer off😳
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

If the thing does not move relative to the piston then...........it's not even a rod, it's just putting the pin below the piston.
it's a drop hitch piston pin. :-k
Either the animation is wrong or the idea is wrong. As it is.... the side thrust will be below the skirt causing the piston to rock and jam terribly.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Like Modok. The piston assy can still rock in the bore with the change of attitude of the rod assy, if not, even worse than a gudgeon mounted high in the piston proper.

The only system i know of that removes the side loading of a piston caused by attachments is in a crosshead engine, primarily used in very large marine diesels, also used in the drive mechanism of a steam locomotive.

I am willing to learn though.

Cheers.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

looks like garbage.
See no functional difference between that --- and a combo of short conventional rod with conventional piston having very high compression distance (aka comp height). What innovation? And, ohh it cannot help but want to rock in bore! Major thrust forces likely Very high. :^o
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

My inner curmudgeon asks don't we have enough stuff flopping around in there already?
I am opposed to adding more steel wrist pins to the mix.
Will we need to add another line on our balance card?
Will it be considered reciprocating or something midway?
Curmudgeon now taking a nap.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

These days it is not rocket science to draw something up on CAD and then animate it, your wildest dreams can be accommodated with a mere snap to line.
The stuff we see these days that make the mind boggle is endless and not just in engines.

Ever since Ernest Henry put a head on a Peugeot with four valves and cams on the top of an IC engine over 100 years ago, it has been refining materials and architecture pretty much since then. Compressors, chemicals, etc have been used to optimize this layout, but the core has not changed much in principle.

There have been many other engine layouts tried but the true has not been superseded yet in it's intended use.

Cheers.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Hmmmmm, looks like they are trying to market something that has been used for decades already in very large diesel engines.....just a somewhat smaller version of it......IMHO, not worth the effort or cost in an automotive application. If it was, it would have been done already....there is just no advantage to it, and it's a HEAVY setup. I applaud them for trying to bring something new to the industry, but at the same time, I laugh because it's been around for a long time already and has limited uses due to design....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Imagine the "mass" the real connecting rod is slinging around! :shock:
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Coloradoracer wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:13 pm Hmmmmm, looks like they are trying to market something that has been used for decades already in very large diesel engines.....just a somewhat smaller version of it......IMHO, not worth the effort or cost in an automotive application. If it was, it would have been done already....there is just no advantage to it, and it's a HEAVY setup. I applaud them for trying to bring something new to the industry, but at the same time, I laugh because it's been around for a long time already and has limited uses due to design....
Exactly. My first thought was this is already used in large ship engines and other large diesels.

This looks like someone drew it up and animated it, and tossed it out their looking for VC money. Kind if missed the boat by a decade if they were looking for VCs with money to throw around.

I don’t see this working for anything with a decent rev limit. Engineers have know a solution like this to exist for a long time and it is only used in low revving applications.
-Bob
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

hoffman900 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:51 am Exactly. My first thought was this is already used in large ship engines and other large diesels.

This looks like someone drew it up and animated it, and tossed it out their looking for VC money. Kind if missed the boat by a decade if they were looking for VCs with money to throw around.

I don’t see this working for anything with a decent rev limit. Engineers have know a solution like this to exist for a long time and it is only used in low revving applications.
1000% correct
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer