If you own an engine dyno

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ClassAct
Guru
Guru
If you own an engine dyno

Post by ClassAct »

And have an outside water tank how do you keep it from freezing? I’ve got 1200 gallons and it’s going to be in the mid teens at night starting tomorrow night. I’m worried about the tank freezing.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

TIA
CA
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Re: If you own an engine dyno

Post by skinny z »

Heat trace tape.
That first and then an insulating blanket.
It's a field standard up here in the Great White North.
Kevin
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Move to Arizona. We have to keep our tank indoors as the water can get over 130* just in the sun in the summer. Freezing, what’s that?

Paul

Sorry, I could not resist.
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

FC-Pilot wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:42 pm Move to Arizona. We have to keep our tank indoors as the water can get over 130* just in the sun in the summer. Freezing, what’s that?

Paul

Sorry, I could not resist.

Yeah, it gets pretty hot here in the summer so I’m sure I’ll be dealing with that soon enough lol
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

ClassAct wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:58 pm And have an outside water tank how do you keep it from freezing? I’ve got 1200 gallons and it’s going to be in the mid teens at night starting tomorrow night. I’m worried about the tank freezing.

TIA
CA
Use anti-freeze.

Calculate how much you may need based on expected temperature.
Not gonna be cheap.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Heat tracer tape, insulation, and constant circulation.

This is why pipelines, construction, and just about anything involving liquid in the north costs more. Remember them silly Texans when they tried to save a buck and their natural gas system went down, which only cost the rest of us in the surrounding states when utility companies jacked up their rates to fix that mess...
-Bob
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

David Redszus wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:02 pm
ClassAct wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:58 pm And have an outside water tank how do you keep it from freezing? I’ve got 1200 gallons and it’s going to be in the mid teens at night starting tomorrow night. I’m worried about the tank freezing.

TIA
CA
Use anti-freeze.

Calculate how much you may need based on expected temperature.
Not gonna be cheap.
I know Superflow suggested some kind of Cat antifreeze or something. I’ll have to look it up. Are you saying regular old antifreeze is good to use?
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

My first thought would be to try and put it inside. Another idea would be to build a plywood framed insulated structure around it and leave a $20 electric heater on inside when it's cold. Another idea might be to put a insulated blanket around it and hook up a water heater to it. Another idea is to just drain the tank during the winter and not use the dyno until early March.

600 gallons of antifreeze sounds really expensive and could make a huge expensive mess if the tank ruptured or leaked.
Joe Facciano
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

My tank is inside, but the bay is not really heated. I simply drain the tank down when it gets cold. I am in the country and have my own well so cost of the water is not a big deal, plus the water will smell after a while, so draining keeps it fresh. I don't have that big of a tank, 250 gallons, all the research said I needed bigger, but I have not had any problems.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

We just use antifreeze here.
Never an issue.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

JoePorting wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:11 am My first thought would be to try and put it inside. Another idea would be to build a plywood framed insulated structure around it and leave a $20 electric heater on inside when it's cold. Another idea might be to put a insulated blanket around it and hook up a water heater to it. Another idea is to just drain the tank during the winter and not use the dyno until early March.

600 gallons of antifreeze sounds really expensive and could make a huge expensive mess if the tank ruptured or leaked.
It’s too big to move inside. I just don’t have the room. Or the height.

I’m really not wanting to do any antifreeze if I don’t have to unless it’s non toxic (if there even is such a thing) because if I do have to drain the tank I don’t want all that antifreeze soaking into my aquifer.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

PRH wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:11 am We just use antifreeze here.
Never an issue.
At a 50/50 mix or can you mix it lighter? even if I did 75/25 (water/antifreeze) I’d still need 300 gallons!! YIKES!!.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Just get an immersion water heater.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

What are the physical dimensions of the tank and what is the length of water line that's also unprotected?
Kevin
Racer97

Post by Racer97 »

You can use .motor home antifreeze. It's non toxic