Rumpata rumpata stock converter.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Rumpata rumpata stock converter.

Post by Tom68 »

We want a bad boy idle, lower rpm power, maybe throw a 600HP turbo on it one day.

700r4 stock converter, 10 to 1 350 sbc carb'd, let's say fixed mech' advance, manifold ported vac advance.

Lets add an idle stop solenoid to pick the idle up when selecting drive.

How much overlap can we give it.

50 thou numbers probably don't matter?

So we'd need a .004, .006 or .010 overlap number I guess.

Hmmm 600HP turbo and 700r4.....maybe not. Maybe the Powerglide and a tall diff goes back in with the Turbo.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Re: Rumpata rumpata stock converter.

Post by rebelrouser »

When you change a stock engine to a performance engine you are reengineering that engine. All engines are compromises. The lopey idle is a compromise so you can make more power at a higher RPM level. I hear for example all the time put a NOS camshaft because we may one day want to run NOS, problem is a big NOS cam will make an engine without it a pooch, kills too much cylinder pressure. Lopey idle and a stock converter many times just makes a mess to drive and enjoy. Lopey cam kills low end performance, tight converter lugs the engine, and the combination hurts low end performance. Buy yourself a good engine program, one that calculates engine vacuum, if you are stuck with a stock converter, pick a camshaft that gives you around 15 to 16 inches at idle, that will give you a little lope, and still work OK with a stock converter, and keep the cranking compression around 150 lb s so it is not to big of a pooch. About 89% of the engines, I build are for muscle street cars and restorations. 99% of my customers say I want a lopey idle but I don't want to sacrifice driveability. I use performance trends to prove out the build before I order parts. Plus, if you really want to understand how an engine works the info in the manual that comes with the program is worth the price by itself. I have limited experience with turbo's but to get one to work right they have to be properly sized. Don't buy that cheap ebay kit. If you want good street performance by just bolting something on, a supercharger is a much easier setup to get good results. I have a procharger on my street car and it is awesome. EFI and control of timing by the computer so pump gas is not an issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Let me see here. 600HP turbo engine with a bunch of torque? I can see the 700R4 going Kaboom!
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

1980RS wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:39 pm Let me see here. 600HP turbo engine with a bunch of torque? I can see the 700R4 going Kaboom!
I spread one all over the freeway with a LP Gas 327. :lol:
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

With the discussion already into turbocharging and NOS, why are we even considering a stock torque converter? Want to run a sprint with a ski boot on one foot?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

You're all over the place, with no real direction.
Any cam that will give you a rough lopy idle, will be a horrible cam for a Turbo or Nitrous application.
Figure out what you want to do, and do it correctly. Life is too short, to do things half-azzed.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

CamKing wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:43 pm You're all over the place, with no real direction.
Any cam that will give you a rough lopy idle, will be a horrible cam for a Turbo or Nitrous application.
Figure out what you want to do, and do it correctly. Life is too short, to do things half-azzed.
Turbo in front of a 700r4 was a bad joke.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Just retard the timing and turn the idle speed down...
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

stealth wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:27 am Just retard the timing and turn the idle speed down...
Can't have it run hot at idle, msybe we can write a misfire program for a programable ignition.
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

Would the engine take more fuel/can you set it run extreme rich idle? 😏

- juhana
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger