SBC Intake Manifolds: Creating Another List.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Re: SBC Intake Manifolds: Creating Another List.

Post by Bigchief632 »

You can do this if the intake doesn't fit at the roof. Had to do that numerous times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

ChopperScott wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:01 pm This is his current intake manifold...

Mike Thompson Intake.jpeg
Bret miller intake is probably the nicest intake design out there.
Wetflow

Post by Wetflow »

ChopperScott wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:01 pm This is his current intake manifold...

Is that a boosted application?
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

Wetflow wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:19 pm

Is that a boosted application?

It will be.
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
434 SBC 11:1, 1.294, 6.178 @ 108.87, 9.81 @ 134.93 (3060#, Naturally Aspirated, Sunoco Ultra 94)
Chopper Air Port 917-589-1278
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

Bigchief632 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:40 am You can do this if the intake doesn't fit at the roof. Had to do that numerous times.
I’m not equipped to take on that task.
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
434 SBC 11:1, 1.294, 6.178 @ 108.87, 9.81 @ 134.93 (3060#, Naturally Aspirated, Sunoco Ultra 94)
Chopper Air Port 917-589-1278
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

ChopperScott wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:37 pm
Bigchief632 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:40 am You can do this if the intake doesn't fit at the roof. Had to do that numerous times.
Other option is drill and tap add a little bar to the top.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

Dave B wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:06 pm

No. I'd never use it again. Didn't really want to, customer bought it. So, that's what we used. Exactly what I predicted happened.
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

Bigchief632 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:42 pm

No. I'd never use it again. Didn't really want to, customer bought it. So, that's what we used. Exactly what I predicted happened.
Then it was used in completely wrong application.Bret has made great power with them!High rpm ,big cubic inch I would take this manifold all day long and rest would go to the dumpster!! Bret has made over 1000 hp and 700 ft lbs of torque with 440ish engine.Peak hp above 8000 ,there is not a single carb manifold out there that can do that without major welding and completely refig design.If you knew it was wrong why would you use it?I would never build a engine for anyone if they pick the parts and the wrong ones for the application.It just makes you look stupid when it don't work.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Dave B wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:48 pm

Then it was used in completely wrong application.Bret has made great power with them!High rpm ,big cubic inch I would take this manifold all day long and rest would go to the dumpster!! Bret has made over 1000 hp and 700 ft lbs of torque with 440ish engine.Peak hp above 8000 ,there is not a single carb manifold out there that can do that without major welding and completely refig design.If you knew it was wrong why would you use it?I would never build a engine for anyone if they pick the parts and the wrong ones for the application.It just makes you look stupid when it don't work.
His dyno is also happy.

The plenum is large enough for a 632" engine.

The only thing that intake should be on, is a rules only cast intake 500 inch engine that spins 9000.
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

I have a different opinion. Cool, he modified a 420 intake and paid someone to make a mold and cast them for him. He is the supreme garage jockey internet "guru". I wouldn't use that intake again regardless. There is plenty of very capable intakes out there, there isn't a one size fits all intake, and that's the problem here. I agree, the intake was not appropriate for the build I used it on, I knew that after 3 seconds of looking at it, and that was my gut feeling before he even bought it. Brett is a good salesman, I will give him that. He assured him. He doesn't have the experience he thinks he has, like a lot of the "internet gurus" guys put so much faith in, but I do give him credit for following through and making this thing come true , and there is some applications that intake will work well on. I won't get into internet "dyno" numbers above. You can take those with a grain of salt. That engine I showed above, wasn't a "max" effort build, but was not a budget, low effort pooch either. it still made 2 hp per inch with "conservative" compression, a $350 wet sump oil pan, a stock cam core, and a small carb, that he didn't listen to me on either on those parts. It's a long story I won't get into, but when you make peak hp at 8100 and peak Tq at 7800, with NOTHING below it, and 30-40 less ftlbs than you've made in the past on similar builds, it's just not right, and I knew that was going to be the case. I know EXACTLY what I would do with that intake, but I won't get into that. Dyno number and on track numbers are something too. This thing was a slug too for what it made for hp, but that's because he didn't listen to me on converter, gear, chassis set up either. I've since washed my hands of this whole mess.
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

ChopperScott wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:37 pm
Send it over, I'll do it for you
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

mt-engines wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:19 pm

His dyno is also happy.

The plenum is large enough for a 632" engine.

The only thing that intake should be on, is a rules only cast intake 500 inch engine that spins 9000.
Sounds perfect to me.Im not interested in low rpm engines.I like plenums with cubic inch near engine size!And I will assure you that plenum in now where near what I would want on a 632.
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

Bigchief632 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:25 pm

I have a different opinion. Cool, he modified a 420 intake and paid someone to make a mold and cast them for him. He is the supreme garage jockey internet "guru". I wouldn't use that intake again regardless. There is plenty of very capable intakes out there, there isn't a one size fits all intake, and that's the problem here. I agree, the intake was not appropriate for the build I used it on, I knew that after 3 seconds of looking at it, and that was my gut feeling before he even bought it. Brett is a good salesman, I will give him that. He assured him. He doesn't have the experience he thinks he has, like a lot of the "internet gurus" guys put so much faith in, but I do give him credit for following through and making this thing come true , and there is some applications that intake will work well on. I won't get into internet "dyno" numbers above. You can take those with a grain of salt. That engine I showed above, wasn't a "max" effort build, but was not a budget, low effort pooch either. it still made 2 hp per inch with "conservative" compression, a $350 wet sump oil pan, a stock cam core, and a small carb, that he didn't listen to me on either on those parts. It's a long story I won't get into, but when you make peak hp at 8100 and peak Tq at 7800, with NOTHING below it, and 30-40 less ftlbs than you've made in the past on similar builds, it's just not right, and I knew that was going to be the case. I know EXACTLY what I would do with that intake, but I won't get into that. Dyno number and on track numbers are something too. This thing was a slug too for what it made for hp, but that's because he didn't listen to me on converter, gear, chassis set up either. I've since washed my hands of this whole mess.
No problem,I would not use Bret's deal for anything short of a all out upper rpm deal.We use sheet metal on our own builds ,I don't like the weight of a cast intake.But if I had to run cast rule deal on our stuff it would be that intake Bret makes.I don't know Bret at all and don't know how legit his engine numbers are.But I know what our stuff runs at track and I see no other cast manifold that would get us there.
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

ChopperScott wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:34 pm I didn't want to give up on the Holley 300-110. Even though I tried it with two sets of 1206 gaskets (2 x .060), I decided to order a set of of 1266 gaskets (.120). After further inspection, I'm confident it will work. I will just need to be careful with the roof on the one set of runners when matching.

300-110 1266.JPG
We have used that intake multiple times with 1266 gasket.It raises the floor up too.We then epoxy floor in head.Its all a win.You can put a small bead of epoxy above gasket at top of port and make sure it seals.It has advantages worth utilizing.We run raised runner intakes on 23 stuff all the time.Raise floor and roof in head to get csa back.I have never lost power on Dyno or track doing this.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Here's my little 430" LS with -12 rails, Intake made by John at CID. CFD designed by Jon Schmidt
20220722_180419.jpg
20220722_191048.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl