SBC Intake Manifolds: Creating Another List.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

SBC Intake Manifolds: Creating Another List.

Post by skinny z »

I may or may not be in the market for another intake for my 357. I've been using and intend to continue using, for now, an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap in unmodified form. Some internet back and forth has suggested this intake responds to various carb spacers. That'll be step two after another baseline is established.

There's a lot that's been posted lately. So much so that I felt compelled to compile a list of what's currently available (or was for that matter) and in what kind of application it's suited for.
To keep from getting too expansive, I've listed my 357 and 6500 RPM limit (+/-) as an entry level deal but feel free to post up what's worked for you and for what CID, RPM or anything else pertinent. I don't want this to be limited to what you all might think is best for me. (That's probably a very small window...).
There are several here who actively pursuing the next best thing for their own racing needs.

Thanks in advance.
Kevin
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Re: SBC Intake Manifolds: Creating Another List.

Post by ChopperScott »

Starting off with alternate options for a dual plane on your combo, these three come to mind...

•AFR Eliminator 4812
•Weiand Stealth 8016
•Holley Street Dominator 300-36
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
434 SBC 11:1, 1.294, 6.178 @ 108.87, 9.81 @ 134.93 (3060#, Naturally Aspirated, Sunoco Ultra 94)
Chopper Air Port 917-589-1278
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you'll be using a Overdrive transmission consider a intake that has a fully divided plenum such as the non Air Gap version RPM intake. On that you can also play with verious type spacers for best effect overall.
When you want to cruise at relative low rpm part throttle in OD say on the highway, the 180° split plenum makes a real difference on a V8 engine. Something you can try.

The Weiand Street Warrior SBC intake 8125 tested very close to the RPM and air gap in a recent shootout yet is a good bit lower carb height. This manifold will also respond well to a spacer. Lots of under hood room for that with this new design Mid Rise intake.
Flanged for either a Qjet or 4150 square bore carb type..
It tested within a few HP of the best of the dual planes yet is lower carb height..
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

ChopperScott wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:20 pm Starting off with alternate options for a dual plane on your combo, these three come to mind...

•AFR Eliminator 4812
•Weiand Stealth 8016
•Holley Street Dominator 300-36
Thanks for that Scott.
But don't limit yourself to "my combo".
It may be that it'll change.
What you've got going on with own your stuff I find very interesting.
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:33 pm If you'll be using a Overdrive transmission consider a intake that has a fully divided plenum such as the non Air Gap version RPM intake. On that you can also play with verious type spacers for best effect overall.
When you want to cruise at relative low rpm part throttle in OD say on the highway, the 180° split plenum makes a real difference on a V8 engine. Something you can try.

The Weiand Street Warrior SBC intake 8125 tested very close to the RPM and air gap in a recent shootout yet is a good bit lower carb height. This manifold will also respond well to a spacer. Lots of under hood room for that with this new design Mid Rise intake.
Flanged for either a Qjet or 4150 square bore carb type..
It tested within a few HP of the best of the dual planes yet is lower carb height..
I'm of the mind that I may develop a track specific car. Cruising around and blowing through tanks of fuel isn't as appealing as it once was. The low RPM consideration might not be as relevant as it appears.
But the insights are well received nonetheless.
As for carb height, presently I've got the RPM Air Gap with an off the shelf dropped base filter case. With a 4" element I'm just about at the limit of the 2" cowl hood. A 3" element will give me room for a 1" spacer.

But bring your favourite intakes just the same. It's a list but not necessarily my list.
Kevin
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I was under the impression you had a TH700R4 trans.
Also could fabricate a carb spacer for the Air Gap manifold that has a plenum divider plate attached that fits snug on the partial plenum divider of the air gap to evaluate a 180° divided plenum for overall effect on that intake.. The GM Corvette / camaro Chevelle 14 inch open element factory "L-88, LT-1 Z/28" air cleaner base sits lower than a aftermarket air cleaner base. alowing more under hood room for carb spacers.
All the GM muscle cars had this . If you need room for carb spacers this is the Air cleaner base you want.
Lots of ways to play and this specific air cleaner height and shape allows that.
I have even tried it on other peoples cars , at the track.

Makes them sick when it makes their car run faster.
"Ok , go buy your own"....🤣
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

skinny z wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:58 pm Thanks for that Scott.
But don't limit yourself to "my combo".
It may be that it'll change.
What you've got going on with own your stuff I find very interesting.
Thank you. My top choices for standard port, single plane manifolds include...

•Edelbrock SV2 2892
•AFR Eliminator 4811PM
•Pro-Filer Wilson
•Holley Keith Dorton 300-110

Honorable mention...
•Weiand Team G 7531
This one is best suited for smaller displacements, and is a heavy casting.
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
434 SBC 11:1, 1.294, 6.178 @ 108.87, 9.81 @ 134.93 (3060#, Naturally Aspirated, Sunoco Ultra 94)
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

My List ------

Anything modern hi rise design Multi carb.
Dual Quad. RPM air gap.
Tri power 3x2..
Street Tunnel Ram. or Weiand Hi-Ram 2X4.
Can be 3X2 carbs on a custom plenum top.

Single Plane. Holley 300-25. This manifold makes a big big top end. The engine wants to REV up and make power.. Yet this racey single plane drives well on the street. Yes loves spacers too.

Those new fangled intakes with the belt driven carb spacers seem to really work well....
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Vic jr
Holley 300-25
Team G
Super Victor

Have all been mainstays for a long time and would not have continued to sell for such long periods if they were 2nd rate. A lot of out of the box in this categoryare likely a derivative of the above 4.

Have you looked into this one?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly- ... /chevrolet
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

You also have consider the port match at the head.
Some are taller and wider so there is a compromise there as well
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

20220805_155319.jpg
20220805_155250.jpg
20220805_155112.jpg
20220805_155036.jpg
20220805_155011.jpg
20220805_154957.jpg
With a bit of work the victor junior will work well on a 350 - 383 ci
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

Here's the list of manifolds I currently have on hand...

•AFR Eliminator 4811PM
*Edelbrock SV2 2892
•Weiand Team G 7531
•Weiand X-CELerator 7546
•Weiand Action Plus 8004
•Weiand Stealth 8016

I've been playing with SBC's a long time, and half of those intakes have been discontinued. #-o
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

skinny z wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:38 pm I may or may not be in the market for another intake for my 357. I've been using and intend to continue using, for now, an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap in unmodified form. Some internet back and forth has suggested this intake responds to various carb spacers. That'll be step two after another baseline is established.

There's a lot that's been posted lately. So much so that I felt compelled to compile a list of what's currently available (or was for that matter) and in what kind of application it's suited for.
To keep from getting too expansive, I've listed my 357 and 6500 RPM limit (+/-) as an entry level deal but feel free to post up what's worked for you and for what CID, RPM or anything else pertinent. I don't want this to be limited to what you all might think is best for me. (That's probably a very small window...).
There are several here who actively pursuing the next best thing for their own racing needs.

Thanks in advance.
My 358 worked the best with both my Holley 300-36 and my Eddy Air Gap with the divider cut down. I also ran my 300-25 on this combo and my Vic jr.
The Air Gap with my 1" open space impressed me the most and had the best ET and MPH. I think the 300-36 would have been better but poor traction limited the ET a touch. My ported Vic Jr. did not work good on my 358 at all this year and the car felt flat with the Vic. Jr. and that's were my testing has ended with my engine so far.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

1980RS wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:34 am
skinny z wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:38 pm I may or may not be in the market for another intake for my 357. I've been using and intend to continue using, for now, an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap in unmodified form. Some internet back and forth has suggested this intake responds to various carb spacers. That'll be step two after another baseline is established.

Thanks in advance.
My 358 worked the best with both my Holley 300-36 and my Eddy Air Gap with the divider cut down. I also ran my 300-25 on this combo and my Vic jr.
The Air Gap with my 1" open space impressed me the most and had the best ET and MPH. I think the 300-36 would have been better but poor traction limited the ET a touch. My ported Vic Jr. did not work good on my 358 at all this year and the car felt flat with the Vic. Jr. and that's were my testing has ended with my engine so far.
Bob,
Do you still race during winter where you live.
It is start of summer here and can get pretty nasty with heat.
40 deg Celsius is not uncommon with a taste of high humidity :x
steve c
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

Wow,

70degrees Celcius different temperature :o Here in Finland the engine may like winter, but then it may not be as much fun to race.. I guess im not the only one who measures temperatures during flow testing? When using a thermocouple, it takes about 5 seconds to stabilize the measurement at different points :oops:
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger