piston ring compressor

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Re: piston ring compressor

Post by Belgian1979 »

gofaster wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:07 pm Talk to someone at Total Seal Piston Rings. They will make you any size ring compressor with whatever taper you need depending on the ring package. They make adjustable and solid types. They made a some for me and they are reasonably priced. You can get standard sized TS ring compressors from summit, Here's a link to an example of one of the adjustable ones:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/TSR-RC3-780-3885
It's a similar part I've ordered. But I need a new set of rings to replace the damaged oil rings :(
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:02 am
gofaster wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:07 pm Talk to someone at Total Seal Piston Rings. They will make you any size ring compressor with whatever taper you need depending on the ring package. They make adjustable and solid types. They made a some for me and they are reasonably priced. You can get standard sized TS ring compressors from summit, Here's a link to an example of one of the adjustable ones:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/TSR-RC3-780-3885
It's a similar part I've ordered. But I need a new set of rings to replace the damaged oil rings :(
Do tops of your bores have a chamfer aka lead-in ?
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Not a lot or rather none. Hasn't been a problem with the previous rings but this time it doesn't seem to work. :cry:
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

rebelrouser wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:22 amI like the Wrinkle style compressor.

download/file.php?id=31727&t=1
I don't build many engines, but I've been using that style (Lisle brand) for decades.

BEWARE the imported knockoffs of that tool. Years ago, (2004-ish) I looked at a knockoff from Taiwan. May have been "Performance Tool" brand. They'd punched the slots from the wrong side, the jagged, rough edge of the stamping was facing IN TOWARDS THE RINGS. I handed the tool back to the guy at the counter, told him what was wrong with it, and he calmly returned it to it's packaging and put it back on the display hook.

This is what happens when folks who don't know what they're doing, "Receive and Duplicate"; and folks who don't care, do the QA.

The genuine Lisle version works well for me.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

I received the tapered compressor today. On the bottom end it has a non-tapered edge. Is that correct?
gofaster
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gofaster »

Yes that's right if in your application you are loading the piston from the top of the block.
Jim McMahon
Heads1st
http://www.heads1st.com/
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

A question: since it is a tapered tool, does it require you to set the bottom part equal to the cyilinder diameter and then tap the piston into it from the top, or do I clamp it around the piston with the rings like with the others.
This may be a stupid question but just to make sure.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Belgian1979 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:37 pm A question: since it is a tapered tool, does it require you to set the bottom part equal to the cyilinder diameter and then tap the piston into it from the top, or do I clamp it around the piston with the rings like with the others.
I tighten it to the point where I can just barely get the piston to slide through using the handle end of a dead blow hammer. Make sure to hold the tool down tight against the block. With that type of tool you almost don't need any bore chamfer at all. Just don't be afraid to "slam" it in. Seems like if you try to go slowly that's when the rings get caught.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Belgian1979 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:37 pm A question: since it is a tapered tool, does it require you to set the bottom part equal to the cyilinder diameter and then tap the piston into it from the top, or do I clamp it around the piston with the rings like with the others.
Do it up on the piston for the first one only, do the clamp up when it's on the fat part of the barrelled skirt.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Thanks guys. I'm going to give it another go as soon as I get new rings.