Dual Plane T shaped runners

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Dual Plane T shaped runners

Post by Tom68 »

Might the T shaped connecting be an unobvious helper for wet flow, sweeping curved runners look the part but separate fuel from airflow no matter how gentle the curve (assuming that's true) do the factory manifolds have the abrupt corners to get the fuel resuspended ?
s-l1600 (18).jpg

Diesel dry flow DP manifold is more sweeping.

s-600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Dual Plane T shaped runners

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I believe these (OEM like) intakes are like they are to create the longest possible (effective) runner length for a dual plane.
The effective tuned resonant length is a sum of the lengths of the combined runners of each plane .
This maxes the intended overall torque range.
These intakes employ plenum heat and ribbed plenum floor to aid vapourization to help fuel distribution for the intended purpose.
These intakes create 2 separate resonant peaks to create a broader overall yet high torque power band.
A bit different than a single plane intake manifold.
Works best on V8 style engines for that dual resonant peaks in the usable power band.
There is a name for it.. "4th order butterworth" or something... Somebody smart will know.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:11 pm I believe these (OEM like) intakes are like they are to create the longest possible runner length for a dual plane.
The effective tuned resonant length is a sum of the lengths of the combined runners of each plane .
This maxes the intended overall torque range.
These intakes employ plenum heat and ribbed plenum floor to aid vapourization to help fuel distribution for the intended purpose.
So the Diesel went for a short runner ?

If the factory was chasing length they could have gone this way. no flattery for Edelbrock on this one, nobody copied it.

SP2P Ford.jpg

Then there's the extreme short long runner F4b manifold which makes me believe dual planes are far more about 180 degree separation than they are about runner length.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Diesel engines are turbo or supercharged. Not as much priority for a tuned resonant intake.