Intake Manifold Porting Show ‘n Tell

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1980RS
Guru
Guru
Re: Intake Manifold Porting Show ‘n Tell

Post by 1980RS »

Years ago I remember extending the runner dividers was the hot ticket to pick up some HP and tq. I had a Holley 300-2 strip dominator that worked pretty well on my 355 SBC at the time. Another machinist was putting in those dividers but they only went from the middle of the divider down to the port floor. Guy said I would pick up 2 tenths and some MPH if I did this mod. Well like a big dummy I went for it and my car slowed down with the mod no matter what I jetted the carb inc adding a spacer and other things to try and get it to go better. Took out the little dividers and with some Muscle went over and had a chat with the guy, all I got was blah blah blah answers, until my rather big friend started a conversation with this guy. I got a full refund at that point, while in theory the extension idea is good, it does not work on every intake I found out from other racers. Make you wonder why the intake manufacturers did not do this with every single plane intake if it was so good? look at the 2526 Eddy intake, the rather long runner dividers rather hurt that one for sure.
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

8.2 deck for Vic Jr with runner extensions I ran on a 6,000 rpm 300’ish hp 289. Brought some low end, torque back to that motor and made it run like the previous dual plane. Would not put it onto anything serious. Stashed away as a conversation piece.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

Ford Vic Jr a guy I knew had. Went back and forth between Billy Glidden and Wilson manifolds a few times to get to this point. Done years back. Got to get a little ford stuff sprinkled in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

1980RS wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:36 pm Years ago I remember extending the runner dividers was the hot ticket…
Modifying the plenum may, or may not, be beneficial depending on the application, rpm range, etc. Your machinist may have had positive feedback from a different combo. Not all machinists are engine builders.
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
434 SBC 11:1, 1.294, 6.178 @ 108.87, 9.81 @ 134.93 (3060#, Naturally Aspirated, Sunoco Ultra 94)
Chopper Air Port 917-589-1278
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

Next one on the bench is this Trick Flow R-series...
IMG_7600.JPG
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
434 SBC 11:1, 1.294, 6.178 @ 108.87, 9.81 @ 134.93 (3060#, Naturally Aspirated, Sunoco Ultra 94)
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

Edel 2916 bbc
arlancam509

Post by arlancam509 »

I wondered aloud if I could print an intake manifold. I figured why not. I quickly threw a design together in my favorite cad program (aka the one I use everyday) and made something look pretty. What came out wasn’t the best ports and runners. In fact, a fella could argue they are downright terrible. That’s not the point! I needed to prove that I could do it!

After many failed attempts (shown in the last picture), I finally got 2 halves printed.

Hmm… I think this might work. Now where did I put the rest of the engine?

Also, I realize this is the "porting show 'n tell" topic - I just wanted to throw this out there. Obviously, if this is not appropriate, I will remove my post. I'll be back once I get a good runner design that I can show off.
° alt+0176 °
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

arlancam509 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:44 pm I wondered aloud if I could print an intake manifold. I figured why not. I quickly threw a design together in my favorite cad program (aka the one I use everyday) and made something look pretty. What came out wasn’t the best ports and runners. In fact, a fella could argue they are downright terrible. That’s not the point! I needed to prove that I could do it!

After many failed attempts (shown in the last picture), I finally got 2 halves printed.

Also, I realize this is the "porting show 'n tell" topic - I just wanted to throw this out there. Obviously, if this is not appropriate, I will remove my post. I'll be back once I get a good runner design that I can show off.
Bolt it on and run it! You never know until you try. I would love to print some intake ideas I have (that I am sure probably won’t work). 😂

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

Trick Flow R-series...
IMG_7611.JPG
IMG_7610.JPG
IMG_7609.JPG
IMG_7607.JPG
IMG_7612.JPG
IMG_7613.JPG
IMG_7614.JPG
IMG_7615.JPG
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

arlancam509 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:44 pm I wondered aloud if I could print an intake manifold. I figured why not. I quickly threw a design together in my favorite cad program (aka the one I use everyday) and made something look pretty. What came out wasn’t the best ports and runners. In fact, a fella could argue they are downright terrible. That’s not the point! I needed to prove that I could do it!

Holy long runner batman.Fuel charge will need gps to find the valve.lol
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

That's pretty cool in my book, amazing what you can make these days with modern technology. Nice work.
arlancam509

Post by arlancam509 »

1980RS wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:56 pm

That's pretty cool in my book, amazing what you can make these days with modern technology. Nice work.
Thank you!!!
° alt+0176 °
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

That's sweet. I'd try it too personally. I think it would work great in the rpm range that mopar will likely run. The long runners will be a plus, and being equal length, or close it appears. I will say though, it needs a better carb flange to runner transition, a 1 inch spacer will help that. It appears you need to clean out the runners, other than that, is the material strong enough to run it?
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
arlancam509

Post by arlancam509 »

Bigchief632 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:11 am
That's sweet. I'd try it too personally. I think it would work great in the rpm range that mopar will likely run. The long runners will be a plus, and being equal length, or close it appears. I will say though, it needs a better carb flange to runner transition, a 1 inch spacer will help that. It appears you need to clean out the runners, other than that, is the material strong enough to run it?
I used carbon fiber impregnated nylon. It is supposed to be strong enough for Real Parts™, so we shall see. I do plan to run this thing. It is going to be interesting to see what it does. I don't have high hopes, so I am not going to be disappointed. If it does OK, I will print the new design. Now that I am thinking about it, I should probably start a new thread and let you guys tear apart the new design.

The runners are fairly close to equal length. I used a couple different calculators and 11 inches (roughly) was the recommendation for the runner length. Now that I think about it though, does that length include the cylinder head port? Also, the support material inside the runners took damn near 2 hours to remove. I should probably print the next one in several pieces, but it will look more impressive (I think) as one piece.

I also don't like the carb flange to runner transition. I did that part last and it shows. My newer design looks a little better.
° alt+0176 °
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

Total intake tract.Valve to plenum.Your head is probably 5" give or take so 6" runner in manifold.