Intake Manifold Porting Show ‘n Tell

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gunt
Expert
Expert
Re: Intake Manifold Porting Show ‘n Tell

Post by gunt »

Erland Cox wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:09 am There is a good thing with constant taper and that is that it keeps the boundary layer thinner.
But there is a bad thing too.
The reflections för stuffing air into the engine are used before they are needed.
And you will never be able to pull a really deep depression before maximum piston velocity.

Erland
if you apply boost , do you know the out come
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

any extrude a hone guys here , id like to know the worst that they have seen cleaned up [ compared to other ports ] and and dyno tune up results compared to just porting the manifold
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

Lloyd klem wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:25 pm Here is a pic of imo the most common mistake made.And getting paid for the hours to correct this is tough.Guy paid for this once and now I get to redo it correctly Look at fair left runner which is number 3.Its a shorter runner than number 1 next to it.It has a bunch more csa than number 1 runner.So I can only go up on number 1 to get csa and taper fixed.It won't have much of a round radius left going into the roof.I will have to add 1 inch spacer and incorporate into that.This will get plenum opened a bunch with shear plate also.IMG_20221127_120751130.jpg
Yeah, but that's the easy runner to get at.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
Lloyd klem

Post by Lloyd klem »

Bigchief632 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:40 pm
Lloyd klem wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:25 pm Here is a pic of imo the most common mistake made.And getting paid for the hours to correct this is tough.Guy paid for this once and now I get to redo it correctly Look at fair left runner which is number 3.Its a shorter runner than number 1 next to it.It has a bunch more csa than number 1 runner.So I can only go up on number 1 to get csa and taper fixed.It won't have much of a round radius left going into the roof.I will have to add 1 inch spacer and incorporate into that.This will get plenum opened a bunch with shear plate also.IMG_20221127_120751130.jpg
yes.Thats my point everyone always goes huge on easy ones.I start on longest runner on intake.That dictates where I can go with the easy ones.Now if I can cut and weld I can fix all 8.I would like to add I rather work with port width than height if possible also.Way easier to hold shape and taper ,csa.
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

Lloyd klem wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:43 pm
Bigchief632 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:40 pm
yes.Thats my point everyone always goes huge on easy ones.I start on longest runner on intake.That dictates where I can go with the easy ones.Now if I can cut and weld I can fix all 8.
I know, I was being funny. Or trying to be.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
Lloyd klem

Post by Lloyd klem »

It's funny how you think something is looking pretty good ,then take a pic.It will show every nick,scar etc.lol
IMG_20221127_180015335.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lloyd klem

Post by Lloyd klem »

Only dual plane pic I have.Was for my Jeep.
IMG_20221127_195726307.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lloyd klem

Post by Lloyd klem »

Here this will give idea what 10500 rpm 321 SBC has.3.265"csa at flange and you guys can see caliper and see what it is in plenum.
IMG_20221127_201504610.jpg
Pretty good amount of taper over that short runner.
IMG_20221127_202731670.jpg
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Lloyd,
Really appreciate your input and photos etc,you do really nice work.
I have a question for you or anyone else who wants to answer -
My engines are 550 - 600hp 383 sbc stuff I run
Street/ strip car 3600 pounds.
I have done a few single plane intakes
Vic Jr
300 - 25
SV
and I have several others.
When I size a intake and decide on what I think is close I make the CSA of both runners the same only length is the governing factor.
I always open carb pad and have lots of spacers.
The question regards keeping the intake manifold runners the same size.??
I currently run at 6000 - 7500rpm window but one combo will go 8000rpm next year hopefully using the big trickflow intake manifold.
Thanks in advance
20220224_162126.jpg
20220224_162138.jpg
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Lloyd klem

Post by Lloyd klem »

steve cowan wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:15 am
Lloyd,
Really appreciate your input and photos etc,you do really nice work.
I have a question for you or anyone else who wants to answer -
My engines are 550 - 600hp 383 sbc stuff I run
Street/ strip car 3600 pounds.
I have done a few single plane intakes
Vic Jr
300 - 25
SV
and I have several others.
When I size a intake and decide on what I think is close I make the CSA of both runners the same only length is the governing factor.
I always open carb pad and have lots of spacers.
The question regards keeping the intake manifold runners the same size.??
I currently run at 6000 - 7500rpm window but one combo will go 8000rpm next year hopefully using the big trickflow intake manifold.
Thanks in advance
20220224_162126.jpg20220224_162138.jpg
My long runners are always bigger and more taper up in plenum to flange.I look at and work on 1 in SBC and decide from it how to size others.Say if number 1 ends up 4.5" at plenum then number 2 and 7 will be a little less and my shorts would be like 3.95"-4.05" just as examples.
Hope that is understandable?in sheet metal spread port runner if all ports same length they get same size csa and taper.
Lloyd klem

Post by Lloyd klem »

Now like in pic of comp short runner deal.im just showing that.Its not anything you want to copy for 7000 rpm engine.I will throw out a general consensus that I see in allot of stuff is around 7deg taper.So if you look at your runner length and do some simple math you can see what different sizes needed for more length or shorter.This is not a perfect scenario but could give guys a step up in their program.Another thing I see allot that imo is wrong is getting top of runner in plenum than at floor.Floor in intake needs thought and plenty of attention.That is where largest chaos point occurs imo.
Lloyd klem

Post by Lloyd klem »

Another general thought.If your rpm range has a bigger spread like most street strip deals do.You are better off to get runner average your engine needs and error to smaller on runner size.Work on shapes ,line of site etc
Lloyd klem

Post by Lloyd klem »

Steve you have a excellent collection of spacers..
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

This is still one of my favorites and Edelbrock discontinued it..

Roughed out Victor E with a qudrajet spacer for a 327/300hp SS combo.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
Lloyd klem

Post by Lloyd klem »

Chad
I have one on shelf that I hang on to test with.Is the efi Vic e same intake with efi bosses?I have never saw one.