Throttle body blending advice needed

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Throttle body blending advice needed

Post by Bill Chase »

There is a noticeable step/lip where the throttle body opening tapers into the bore where the throttle plate is, is it better to round and blend the transition like a short side radius? Or leave the sharp step in place?

For reference it is a first performance tpi throttle body 71mm (2.815")throttle plate, 102mm (4")outer diameter. Pics of side profile, and rear mounting surface included, it can be bore out, but will still have the huge step down in diameter. Goofy design, in many ways the 5.7 L31 vortec throttle body is a better fit, simple 1/2" plate spacer and it will bolt up, match the plenum opening better. Suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: Throttle body blending advice needed

Post by midnightbluS10 »

I'm sure it was designed that way on purpose. I don't think I'd just pick some arbitrary "smoothed out shape" just because I think it looks bad, and without any actual flow data to verify anything at all.

It's not like it's a stock GM tb built for economy. I'm sure that thing was designed with performance in mind from the beginning. So I wouldn't be so eager to just arbitrarily change it all up without at least some sort of data to quantify that what you're doing is actually helping.

Unless you just want to do it because you "feel like" it'll flow better. Then by all means. Go right ahead lol
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING