Big Block Mopar valve offset

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Big Block Mopar valve offset

Post by Ken_Parkman »

Doing some research on big block Mopar heads for a project I am working on. Does anyone have a head blueprint they are willing to share? And/or know the distance the valve pierce point is from the bore centreline? Just looking and visually the valves are way low, maybe 1/4" inch? How far did the valves have to be moved to centre them on some of the Mopar race heads?
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Re: Big Block Mopar valve offset

Post by Erland Cox »

When I raced with Mopar engines I used to move the heads up 0,1 inch.
That was all that was possible but it made the heads flow what they did at 0,6" at 0,5" so it really helps.
I have no blueprint though.

Erland
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Ken_Parkman wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:36 pm Doing some research on big block Mopar heads for a project I am working on. Does anyone have a head blueprint they are willing to share? And/or know the distance the valve pierce point is from the bore centreline? Just looking and visually the valves are way low, maybe 1/4" inch? How far did the valves have to be moved to centre them on some of the Mopar race heads?
Intake = 1.15" from bore centerline
Exhaust = .93" from bore centerline
Horizontal centerline for both valves = .3146"toward the exhaust side from bore centerline
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

Thanks guys!

Wow, over 5/16" from the centreline!
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:18 pm
Ken_Parkman wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:36 pm Doing some research on big block Mopar heads for a project I am working on. Does anyone have a head blueprint they are willing to share? And/or know the distance the valve pierce point is from the bore centreline? Just looking and visually the valves are way low, maybe 1/4" inch? How far did the valves have to be moved to centre them on some of the Mopar race heads?
Horizontal centerline for both valves = .3146"toward the exhaust side from bore centerline
This I believe is backwards. On the valve pierce points but perfect on the offset from wristpin axis.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

DCal wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:07 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:18 pm
This I believe is backwards. On the valve pierce points but perfect on the offset from wristpin axis.
The print I took it from must be labeled wrong.
But, yes, the intake centerline should be closer to the bore centerline.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

I once made a shrouding calculator in Excel: Image

http://www.topplocksverkstan.se/ventils ... spalt.html

Erland