Entertaining and informative video series

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Entertaining and informative video series

Post by CamKing »

Here's a YouTube video series about taking an underwhelming SB Chevy with Chinese cylinder heads, and working on it, until it's a respectable power plant.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Y-JSFJH6cr
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: Entertaining and informative video series

Post by Tuner »

Why do people want to use derogatory terminology and call their considerable effort a shit show? Feces sculpture ?
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

CamKing wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:04 pm Here's a YouTube video series about taking an underwhelming SB Chevy with Chinese cylinder heads, and working on it, until it's a respectable power plant.

The guy is actually pretty funny. I’ve watched all those.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Pete is an exceptional tuner and engine man
No one to be trifled with.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

If that was equal to a proposed house renovation, we just bulldozed the block to dirt and started again. There was not much of that puppy left that was supplied. As he said "it was a drastic change"! not just the combo but the outcome.

I did notice he used very little over-stroke on the bore honing process, also, his coolant looked like thinned MB30? unless it was something else?

Cheers.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Tuner wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:28 pm Why do people want to use derogatory terminology and call their considerable effort a shit show? Feces sculpture ?
Just having a bit of fun at no ones expense (I'm sure the engine's owner was in on it), not taking themselves too seriously (they probably do that the remainder of the work week) and catering to the target YouTube audience.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

CamKing wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:04 pm Here's a YouTube video series about taking an underwhelming SB Chevy with Chinese cylinder heads, and working on it, until it's a respectable power plant.

Just a guess..............your CAM!!
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

hoodeng wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:33 pm There was not much of that puppy left that was supplied.
I was impressed with how much work he did to the heads, to get them to make over 600hp.
They were nothing but boat anchors when he started on them.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

CamKing wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:17 pm
hoodeng wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:33 pm There was not much of that puppy left that was supplied.
I was impressed with how much work he did to the heads, to get them to make over 600hp.
They were nothing but boat anchors when he started on them.
Agree.

Before and after specs would have been great, not just the heads but whole package. But I understand his reasoning for not doing it to so keyboard warriors don’t have any platforms to attempt to tell him what he is doing wrong. Which is fair enough as it’s meant for entertainment, not a tech ‘how to make 600hp’ vid.

Unless there was exotic parts we don’t know about I liked it coming from the implicit perspective of you can make 600hp from your 383 on a budget.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

I looked at the original engine as being built to a base spec and budget, what you got was what you paid for.

County of origin can make a lot better than this in the same package ,,,if the budget was there... It reminded me of an old story of that country years ago that went, A distributor approaches a said county's premier manufacturer of sharpeners, and asks " I need ... pencil sharpeners made and asks the manufacturer what price range does he offer for these in that quantity, manufacturer says 10c to $1, purchaser says give me the 10C version, manufacturer makes to order specification said pencil sharpener [he won't knock back an order regardless of purchasers expectation of quality] he makes millions of others so if he looses one buyer he has lost little but gained a sale, this my friends is how it works. Sadly at the expense of all home market suppliers.[At least those that have not chosen to source offshore].

As it turned out the core components of this engine could be worked with for a decent outcome, the block required detail rectification but was not trashed, the heads also stood up to rectification and were not trashed. As for all the other components in the engine it was the builders call to replace them. The engine supplier still made a sale, the importer still got it out the door, the retailer also got it out the door,,,, all of these guys did not have to rectify or refund a return,,,money in the till!

What i would have liked to have seen with that project was the rectifications that were performed, but with all the components that were supplied with the package, pistons, rods, cam, valves, etc, etc, lean on every section till it bursts and back off half a turn so to speak. That would be a more realistic before and after comparison.

Cheers.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I was interested in what cam came out and what went in. Those domed pistons, decked block, and the flow improvements likely goosed the cam specs significantly. The import head was what really got polished. To that end, they might just as easily sourced another block and sold the existing short block to help fund the project.
So much to do, so little time...
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

hoodeng wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:14 pm What I would have liked to have seen with that project was the rectifications that were performed, but with all the components that were supplied with the package, pistons, rods, cam, valves, etc, etc, lean on every section till it bursts and back off half a turn so to speak. That would be a more realistic before and after comparison.

Cheers.
I would have liked that too. I have no qualms about the route they took but in the end with what was left from the original engine if we never knew about it it would barely have made a difference to the series. So it would have been an interesting first step to see what could be done by leaving the short block alone and hopped up the heads and cam. Roll the turd in glitter before bringing out the polish.
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

they must have adjusted the oil level before and after the pull that less than 50 psi at the end
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

An actual engine machinist/engine builder with 30+ years experience, doing youtube videos. What a concept. I've watched a few, all good, compared to the click bait terrible videos being uploaded by others, worth exactly what you pay for them, one in particular I use for some comedy relief, and to put myself to sleep.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

rfoll wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:20 pm I was interested in what cam came out and what went in.
Well, he gave the specs of the cam that went in.
"Big" and "Nasty" :lol:
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449