Comp Cams passes off 50 year old technology, as "New" cutting edge tech.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Re: Comp Cams passes off 50 year old technology, as "New" cutting edge tech.

Post by Ken_Parkman »

1.5 ft-lbs per inch on pump gas.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Wow, happy dyno off 10% :lol:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

In-Tech wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:21 pm Wow, happy dyno off 10% :lol:
Clearly you don’t know how social media works. The more clicks you get, the more it becomes fact. :lol:

Basically, 1.5lb-ft/ci on pump gas, let alone a 2-valve, is naturally aspirated, is impossible:
hoffman900 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:07 pm So far:
410ci Shaver Ford WoO (mechanical injection, methanol): ~2.26hp+/ci, ~1.78lb-ft+/ ci
2010 358ci NASCAR "Open" engine (850cfm Holley, 12:1 compression): 2.42hp/ci, 1.59lb-ft / ci
Sonny Leonard 932ci "Extreme Pro Stock" (carburetor): 2.17hp/ci, 1.58lb-ft/ci
PME 397ci Chevy R07 (12:1 compression, tunnel ram, two carburetor)): 2.40hp/ci, 1.65lb-ft / ci
NHRA Pro Stock 500ci (PipeMax example, carburetor era, probably better examples out there): ~2.85hp+ / ci, ~1.69 lb-ft/ci
Wilkins Racing Ford 438ci RY45 Pro4 Trophy Truck engine: 2.18hp/ci, 1.5lb-ft / ci
Pro Power 412ci Ford RY45 (single carburetor): 2.21hp/ci , 1.72lb-ft/ci (< this sounds like a very happy dyno to me, so not sure I'm believing this one, unless it’s a methanol engine, but even still)

On pump gas, but does not meet emissions:
GM ZZ632ci Crate engine: 1.58hp.ci, 1.39lb-ft/ci

Then you look at the magic of 4 valves per cylinder
Honda K24 154ci USAC Midget engine (stock block, crank, head castings, EFI on methanol): 2.46hp/ci , 1.68lb-ft/ci
2005 Honda RA005 Formula 1 engine, 183ci: 5.27hp/ci , 1.72lb-ft/ci

On pump gas, meets full emissions, warranties:
Cosworth GMA V12 (244ci): 2.68hp/ci, 1.40lb-ft/ci
Porsche 911 GT3 RS (244ci): 2.1hp/ci, 1.41lb-ft/ci
the Ducati V4 Panigale and Chevrolet 5.5L ZL1 (4 valve) are both around 1.38-1.39lb-ft/ci
Probably the only dynos I’d trust the numbers on are the OEMs and pro race teams (Hendrick, Roush, TRD, Cosworth, etc), not a hot rod shop which probably does better having a happy dyno.
-Bob
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

I couldn’t agree more how venture capital outfits buying up good known names is killing things. I cringe everytime I hear of another innovative company being bought. Then again some haven’t been innovative in years and the worth is just in the name.

Those companies were founded by guys who loved to go fast, make others go fast and put food on the table for their families. They had a reputation to uphold.

Now it’s just a name that sells. Bean counters are running the show. R&D, new products and improved products take a second seat to profits and share holders.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

CamKing wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:16 am One thing Comp has, is a serious advertising budget.
In 2006, HOTROD magazine did a multi page article on my cam balancing system.
Before it went to print, Someone high up at Comp Cams heard about it and called HOTROD's publisher. They threatened to pull their advertising, and it almost got the writer of the article fired. They told the publisher, "if you want to write about cams, you come to us". The writer stood up for me, and the article was printed, but down the edge of each page of the article was a 1/3 page ad for Comp Cams. That's the kind of power Comp has.
Right after the article came out, Ed Iskenderian called me, laughing, and said "I didn't know you were bought out by Comp"
Wasn't isky the ones that went to print slamming your lobe designs here; https://iskycams.com/tech-tips-2000.html#2007

That's the power of focused smear campaigns, if you can't stop it duplicate it. If you can't duplicate it discredit it in every way possible. Then in five years when you understand the design a little more, duplicate it and call it something new, revolutionary. Surprised they haven't tried to buy you and your designs outright Mike.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

That unbridled power --- another representation of it are those NASCAR-mandated decal packages --- regardless if those advertisers' products are truly aboard race car, or not.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Bill Chase wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:37 am
CamKing wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:16 am One thing Comp has, is a serious advertising budget.
Before it went to print, Someone high up at Comp Cams heard about it and called HOTROD's publisher. They threatened to pull their advertising, and it almost got the writer of the article fired. They told the publisher, "if you want to write about cams, you come to us". The writer stood up for me, and the article was printed, but down the edge of each page of the article was a 1/3 page ad for Comp Cams. That's the kind of power Comp has.
Right after the article came out, Ed Iskenderian called me, laughing, and said "I didn't know you were bought out by Comp"
Wasn't isky the ones that went to print slamming your lobe designs here; https://iskycams.com/tech-tips-2000.html#2007

That's the power of focused smear campaigns, if you can't stop it duplicate it. If you can't duplicate it discredit it in every way possible. Then in five years when you understand the design a little more, duplicate it and call it something new, revolutionary. Surprised they haven't tried to buy you and your designs outright Mike.
May have been referring to HB?
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Then there are asymmetric cam lobes......
I remember a well known lobe designer [ now deceased ] in the 80s & 90s making a big deal about his asymmetric lobe designs. They are mentioned in my 1974 Isky catalog...
Wetflow

Post by Wetflow »

Is the inverse radius simply less radius than before it, after it, or both? Could someone do a quickie sketch to illustrate the approximate shape and location of the inverse radius portion of the lobe?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Bill Chase wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:37 am Surprised they haven't tried to buy you and your designs outright Mike.
Vic Edelbrock tried.He wanted to buy the company, and pay me to run it. He was willing to pay me what I wanted, but started off by offering me 10% of what he was willing to pay.
I ultimately turned him down. I figured if he was willing to screw me for 90% of my worth on day one, day 2 wasn't going to be any different.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

CamKing wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:43 am
Bill Chase wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:37 am Surprised they haven't tried to buy you and your designs outright Mike.
Vic Edelbrock tried.He wanted to buy the company, and pay me to run it. He was willing to pay me what I wanted, but started off by offering me 10% of what he was willing to pay.
I ultimately turned him down. I figured if he was willing to screw me for 90% of my worth on day one, day 2 wasn't going to be any different.
Edelbrock cams are pretty high tech aren't they? lol, probably one of the biggest cons on performance enthusiasts of all time. Not that they don't work, but they are the "cheap" generic profiles that many sell for $79.95 for a cam and lifters. But they get more than double for the same thing, those boxes must be expensive?
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Elgin comes after Edelbrock in the dictionary :lol:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

In-Tech wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:39 am Elgin comes after Edelbrock in the dictionary :lol:
I never could figure Elgin out. The bulk of their stuff is white box cams repackaged, but Dema will do all sorts of oddball stuff and was the go-to guy for odd SCCA class engines.

Pretty sure Steve Gruenwald (spl) was doing his designs before leaving to do his own thing (Integral). He retired and sold his designs to Megacycle.
-Bob
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Was there a rebuttal from Jones Cams?
Kevin
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

skinny z wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:00 pm
Was there a rebuttal from Jones Cams?
I wouldn't dignify that pile of ignorance and verbal diarrhea, with a rebuttal. Isky's cam designs haven't been relevant this century.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449