Exhaust system clearance

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Exhaust system clearance

Post by travis »

How much minimum clearance is needed between exhaust components and nylon fuel line and a frame rail mounted high pressure fuel pump? At the closest point I've got about 1-1.25" clearance
In-Tech
Vendor

Re: Exhaust system clearance

Post by In-Tech »

Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

travis wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:41 pm How much minimum clearance is needed between exhaust components and nylon fuel line and a frame rail mounted high pressure fuel pump? At the closest point I've got about 1-1.25" clearance
You'd be fitting at least a non contact stainless steel heat shield between them.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

Thats way to close for me. :shock:
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

Where in the cart are we talking? Front just aft of the engine compartment? In the engine compartment? Or at the back by the fuel tank?
In the engine compartment: probably needs shielding. Headers take up more space than cast manifolds and disrupt airflow going thru and down under the hood. Vents in the hood as rearward as possible can add a little positive pressure to motivate flow out the bottom rear of the engine compartment. then, under hot soak, they act like chimneys allowing hot air to escape and passively pull in cooler air.
Aft of the engine compartment by the collector: needs airflow, so no deep chin spoilers.
By the fuel tank: 1" is just fine.

Nearly all old Bosch FI systems used nylon fuel lines but they didn't challenge heat transfer laws to save a few cents.

Sleds with 900-1000F pipes and resonators needed 1" of airspace to stop hoods and nosepans from melting. Then, when space went away due to Industrial Design shrinkwrapping plastic around the engine and exhaust, really neat (expensive) insulation adhered to the nosepan kept it from melting.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

It's at the rear of the car, just before the rear axle, and near the very end of the muffler case on the passenger side. I took a few pictures but the lighting wasn't good and you can't really make heads or tails of what's going on.

This is a fox body aftermarket system installed on a '84 Mercury Cougar. I initially installed it just back to the rear axle and used a pair of Pypes M80's dumped in front of the rear end. Plenty of clearance but ridiculously loud and boomy even with just 140hp 302...it sounded no different than no mufflers at all. The turbo mufflers that came with the kit sound really good IMO