Filling pin holes in intake runner with splash Zone 788?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Filling pin holes in intake runner with splash Zone 788?

Post by NXBOY »

Buddy did some cutting next to guide and found some pin holes about a inch and a half away from guide into water jacket. I told him splash Zone should work good since he run gas and mainly Drag. Told him to run a lower pressure radiator cap too. He will get it pressured tested too. Prepped with acetone to clean and heat head when applied. Figured he should fill the channel not just put on flat to help hold? What you guys think about doing this. Not found anyone that wants to weld it yet.
FloydODB
Pro
Pro
Re: Filling pin holes in intake runner with splash Zone 788?

Post by FloydODB »

cast iron?

I've had a lot of success using the splashzone. outside cracks, inside cracks, grind mistakes, water jacket rot. you might run it through some heat cycles in an oven or something before the pressure test. ive done it with a rosebud too.
Daniel Brown
Accurate Engine Rebuilding
(269)930-1962
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

First off are we talking about a iron or aluminum head?

Aluminum's high expansion and contraction rates need to be taken into account over cast iron, especially in thin wall sections like your buddy has going on now!

You should post up a picture, because with either material if your able to drill a hole on the Exh side of the head to gain access to the water jacket you may be able to also apply a sealant of gray gasket maker as I have done besides filling in the pin holes on the inside of the runner.

When I have done this I then tap that access hole I made for a 1/2" pipe plug.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Yep, drill a hole somewhere convenient to get access to the water jacket side, bead blast the area clean.
I use JB weld for this sort of repair.
Apply from water jacket side & pull through pinholes with a vac tester on the port (works great, don't pull heaps of vac, just a couple of little taps to pull the JB weld through).
Add more JB weld on the water side, plug the drilled hole.
Smear of JB on the port side.

Permanent repair done that way.
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

I cant figure out how to send pics from phone. He welded at work with a spool gun. Hes not a welder and was too hot and couldnt see past tip. It left pin holes from weld. Its in the roof just down from the guide, the water jacket just started and was only about .050 deep. I think it should be filled solid there to roof.