Gearing Down for Altitude: Dyno Results?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

Gearing Down for Altitude: Dyno Results?

Post by nicholastanguma »

I'm considering purchasing a house in Mexico City in addition to my place in New York City. I ride only air cooled, carbed, single cylinder motorcycles, they're my favorite and that will never change; as such, I'll be taking a favorite moto from NYC to CDMX with me. 

But here's the issue:

While NYC is at sea level, CDMX is 7,000ft above sea level, so clearly that means anywhere from 10 to 13 hp lost at the rear wheel, and with an air cooled, carbed, single cylinder moto that's a HUGE drop in usable power.

My favorite moto is dyno tuned, so I know her hp/tq numbers on paper as well as on the street. If I simply gear down a tooth or two in the bike's final drive ratio, and then dyno tune on the same dynamometer, can I expect to keep the Mexico City variant feeling as powerful and usable as the New York City variant, albeit with a lower top speed?

It seems to me the answer is surely, "Well, obviously, yes, duh, stupid," but I want to hear it confirmed from other experienced voices in case there's something I'm missing.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Gearing Down for Altitude: Dyno Results?

Post by Tom68 »

I wouldn't change the gearing, add compression and lean the jetting, but yer it's gunna suck.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

nicholastanguma wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:50 pm I'm considering purchasing a house in Mexico City in addition to my place in New York City. I ride only air cooled, carbed, single cylinder motorcycles, they're my favorite and that will never change; as such, I'll be taking a favorite moto from NYC to CDMX with me. 

But here's the issue:

While NYC is at sea level, CDMX is 7,000ft above sea level, so clearly that means anywhere from 10 to 13 hp lost at the rear wheel, and with an air cooled, carbed, single cylinder moto that's a HUGE drop in usable power.

My favorite moto is dyno tuned, so I know her hp/tq numbers on paper as well as on the street. If I simply gear down a tooth or two in the bike's final drive ratio, and then dyno tune on the same dynamometer, can I expect to keep the Mexico City variant feeling as powerful and usable as the New York City variant, albeit with a lower top speed?

It seems to me the answer is surely, "Well, obviously, yes, duh, stupid," but I want to hear it confirmed from other experienced voices in case there's something I'm missing.
NYC
Baro...29.92inHg
Temp..80F
RH.....30%

Mex
Baro...22.06inHg..(7000ft)
Temp..80F
RH.....30%
Air density...-26.37%
Fuel req......-26.3%
Power loss...-30.63%

A power loss of 30% will never be recovered without a turbo.
And it will take some serious gearing changes to recover the torque loss.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:48 am
Just leave it a gear lower but you'll be going slower.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

Post by nicholastanguma »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:48 am
nicholastanguma wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:50 pm I'm considering purchasing a house in Mexico City in addition to my place in New York City. I ride only air cooled, carbed, single cylinder motorcycles, they're my favorite and that will never change; as such, I'll be taking a favorite moto from NYC to CDMX with me. 

But here's the issue:

NYC
Baro...29.92inHg
Temp..80F
RH.....30%

Mex
Baro...22.06inHg..(7000ft)
Temp..80F
RH.....30%
Air density...-26.37%
Fuel req......-26.3%
Power loss...-30.63%

A power loss of 30% will never be recovered without a turbo.

Helpful, thank you.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Don't get killed in the Mexico City Earthquake. Built on drained lake Texcoco, unstable, loose soil, and not so far from active tectonic plates.

5000+ killed in the '85 earthquake.

The bike will be the least of your problems there.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Wow, going from one of the worst places in America to one of the worst places in Mexico #-o

I have some friends there if you would like some advice of where to live.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Schurkey wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:33 am Don't get killed in the Mexico City Earthquake. Built on drained lake Texcoco, unstable, loose soil, and not so far from active tectonic plates.

5000+ killed in the '85 earthquake.

The bike will be the least of your problems there.
More to worry about from cartels and crooked federales than earthquakes.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

In-Tech wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:55 am Wow, going from one of the worst places in America to one of the worst places in Mexico #-o

I have some friends there if you would like some advice of where to live.
Un true. The border cities are the worst. Then Culican Sinaloa. Mexico city and Toluca are great cities. I've live and traveled pretty much all of Mexico over the past 25 years.

Just like any large city in the world, if you look for trouble you will find it.
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

As air density goes down, heat removal by convection is reduced.
Don't lean it out too much.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

panic wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:54 am As air density goes down, heat removal by convection is reduced.
Don't lean it out too much.
Yes, but so is the heat produced by the engine.

Get out the old O2 sensor. :)