8.2 Deck Dart/World Windsor longest stroke possible?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BLstangin
Re: 8.2 Deck Dart/World Windsor longest stroke possible?

Post by BLstangin »

Wetflow wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:26 pm
BLstangin wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:50 am Im currently chipping away at a 8.2 deck stroker for a street car of this caliber. It is a dart iron eagle block, a kings crankshaft 3.550 stroke crank with a honda rod journal. I believe it's 1.850 I dont remember. carrillo 5.4" rod with a .812 wrist pin. Custom racetec piston 1mm,1mm,2mm ring pac, 12:1 with a flattop. With a 1.025 compression height and a .812 wrist pin it's already extremely tight with the oil ring going mostly through the pin. It has Kuntz speedmaster cleveland heads on it that are a custom port by Kuntz, a hogans sheetmetal intake, t&d shaft rocker, 55mm solid roller with a .937 lifter. I have everything to put it together, except the machine work on the block isn't done so I haven't mocked it up yet. It's a 4.165 bore so it will be 387" Be prepared to find out the short block is insanely expensive. My crank has something like 8-10 chunks of mallory in it to internal balance. We are trying to make 800 hp and a drag week style build with ulitmate reliabilty as I don't race it, it's just a toy to drive around and put a smile on my face.
Just reading this put a smile on my face.
Me to, lol, its going into a 70 mustang that already has a faceplated t56magnum and a 5.00 rear gear, real fun to drive around.
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Bigchief632 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:45 am
BLstangin wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:50 am Im currently chipping away at a 8.2 deck stroker for a street car of this caliber. It is a dart iron eagle block, a kings crankshaft 3.550 stroke crank with a honda rod journal. I believe it's 1.850 I dont remember. carrillo 5.4" rod with a .812 wrist pin. Custom racetec piston 1mm,1mm,2mm ring pac, 12:1 with a flattop. With a 1.025 compression height and a .812 wrist pin it's already extremely tight with the oil ring going mostly through the pin. It has Kuntz speedmaster cleveland heads on it that are a custom port by Kuntz, a hogans sheetmetal intake, t&d shaft rocker, 55mm solid roller with a .937 lifter. I have everything to put it together, except the machine work on the block isn't done so I haven't mocked it up yet. It's a 4.165 bore so it will be 387" Be prepared to find out the short block is insanely expensive. My crank has something like 8-10 chunks of mallory in it to internal balance. We are trying to make 800 hp and a drag week style build with ulitmate reliabilty as I don't race it, it's just a toy to drive around and put a smile on my face.
Sounds like a cool build. Love me the 8.2 deck builds. Kinda surprised the crank needed that much metal to balance. Should be a pretty lite assembly.
Roger on the cool build. Imagine the counterweights needed eccentric cuts to clear the pistons. Maybe the reason for all the heavy metal?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
BLstangin

Post by BLstangin »

I honestly don't remember, I haven't looked at the crank in probably about a year now I could be off on the number of mallory slugs in it, but I know it's a bunch. I had more pictures, but my phone just shut off and i can't seem to recover them all, This piston in the picture is not the piston i'll be using. It was started as someone elses build for a dirt track car and never got finished, i've bought all the parts new "used" from multiple people over the last few years and then had Kuntz design the head and valvetrain, which required a piston redesign. The rotating assembly was balanced with the other piston and I'm not certain what it's gonna take to balance to the new piston, haven't gotten that far yet. I run a fleet maint shop of 150 trucks and a fleet of equipment, and then own my own auto repair shop, so this is just something i chip away with in the background to replace the slap together 302 that's been in the car since 2009 that I originally built just to make it run and drive. IT made 490 hp at 7600 and has been just rock solid reliable, start it, beat it, put it back in the garage and do it again whenever I want. Eventually when the new engine is done i'll put it in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

BILL-C wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:24 pmWhat is your application? We built and maintain a 374 cid 8.2 deck road race engine for a vintage road race customer that occasionally goes to some outlaw run what you brung events. Dart aluminum block, 3.500stroke, 4.125 bore, 5.400 rod on 2.00 crank pin,1.035 cd, dry sump oiling.. Cylinder wall and piston wear have been a problem even with piston oiler jets. It probably would work fine for a drag race application, but definately a dissapointment in road race environment durability wise.

Are you just seeing more wear than you'd be happy with, or do you think the set up is fundamentally flawed, with little to no work around ?

Have you had any notable 'failures', and with 20/20 hindsight what would you do differently ?

Do you consider cylinder length to be a major factor, and would the extra 1/2" cyl length of the WP block make much of a difference ?

There's a possibility a 370 ish ci 7k rpm (non-drag) build might be coming my way and I might not want the aggravation
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

BCjohnny wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:32 am
BILL-C wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:24 pmWhat is your application? We built and maintain a 374 cid 8.2 deck road race engine for a vintage road race customer that occasionally goes to some outlaw run what you brung events. Dart aluminum block, 3.500stroke, 4.125 bore, 5.400 rod on 2.00 crank pin,1.035 cd, dry sump oiling.. Cylinder wall and piston wear have been a problem even with piston oiler jets. It probably would work fine for a drag race application, but definately a dissapointment in road race environment durability wise.

Are you just seeing more wear than you'd be happy with, or do you think the set up is fundamentally flawed, with little to no work around ?

Have you had any notable 'failures', and with 20/20 hindsight what would you do differently ?

Do you consider cylinder length to be a major factor, and would the extra 1/2" cyl length of the WP block make much of a difference ?

There's a possibility a 370 ish ci 7k rpm (non-drag) build might be coming my way and I might not want the aggravation
For the racing that this car does, this is just a bad combination. For example, one single 45 minute enduro at Watykins Glen will include approximately 200 8000 rpm upshifts and the same in downshifts if all goes well. Sometimes it doesn't go well and the driver will make bad downshifts and bury the 9k tach. Our 289's and 302's take this no problem, but the 374 will wear out the pistons and bores after just a few of these races. The sleeves will actually have ripples worn into them that you can feel with your fingers on tear down.The pistons do not hang out of bottom of bore a crazy ammount. The last time out this car went off track and into sand trap. Dry sump belt got knocked off and customer ignored or didn't notice gauges or warning lights and got back out onto track and continued the beating until engine locked up. Rotating assembly is wrecked. This time we will build with a 3.4 stroke and see what happens.
Carlquist Competition Engines
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

BILL-C wrote:The sleeves will actually have ripples worn into them that you can feel with your fingers on tear down.The pistons do not hang out of bottom of bore a crazy ammount ...... This time we will build with a 3.4 stroke and see what happens
Are you putting the 'ripples' down to piston rock, or some kind of resultant oscillation there of, induced ?

Thanks for the reply Bill, most helpful
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

BCjohnny wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:55 pm
BILL-C wrote:The sleeves will actually have ripples worn into them that you can feel with your fingers on tear down.The pistons do not hang out of bottom of bore a crazy ammount ...... This time we will build with a 3.4 stroke and see what happens
Are you putting the 'ripples' down to piston rock, or some kind of resultant oscillation there of, induced ?

Thanks for the reply Bill, most helpful
I'm not sure what the problem is for sure. We have run worse rod ratios in big cube drag race engines with success many times. I suspect that the issue is just the ammount of time the engine sees at full rpm and power. This application sees more abuse in an hour of racing than a drag application would experience in a lifetime. I do not think this combination would last long enough in a street application to call it practical or "bullet proof".
Carlquist Competition Engines
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

The 8.20" deck had a single purpose: to fit under the hood of a Falcon, I'm sorry, Mustang.
If you have the room, the taller deck reduce problems.
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

BLstangin wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:04 pm I run a fleet maint shop of 150 trucks and a fleet of equipment, and then own my own auto repair shop, so this is just something i chip away with in the background to replace the slap together 302 that's been in the car since 2009 that I originally built just to make it run and drive. IT made 490 hp at 7600 and has been just rock solid reliable, start it, beat it, put it back in the garage and do it again whenever I want. Eventually when the new engine is done i'll put it in.
I remember when you put that 302 together back then. Glad to hear it’s still going strong. 👍