Question about boost.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

TheRedWedge94

Re: Question about boost.

Post by TheRedWedge94 »

Already make plenty of low end power, but a turbo would just add a lot more to it and through the rest of the rpms. But I guess the lower end added power is the issue ?

Ive had my eye on some good turbo manifolds however, id more rather do a rear mount.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

TheRedWedge94 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:04 pm Already make plenty of low end power, but a turbo would just add a lot more to it and through the rest of the rpms. But I guess the lower end added power is the issue ?
Even more bottom end, then you could just chuck in a taller rear end gear and turn the extra grunt into speed instead of tyre smoke.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
TheRedWedge94

Post by TheRedWedge94 »

Would you say heads and cam would be more reliable ? I have 3.73s and 25 inch tires, I burn out like crazy. Giving up some low end could allow for a better launch.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

TheRedWedge94 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:32 pm Would you say heads and cam would be more reliable ? I have 3.73s and 25 inch tires, I burn out like crazy. Giving up some low end could allow for a better launch.
Easier to keep reliable and a tidier lighter solution.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

I put a small turbo on my bone stock 91 z28 daily driver. I even rear mounted it so i didnt have to mess with the stock engine bay. The ac still worked great and i didnt want to mess with it. All in all id say it made 350 hp. On just 8 psi. Pretty good considering stock 305 tpi makes like 200 and being old it probably was down some power although it seemed in good condition. I could have gotten alot more out of it but had valvefloat and some ignition issues I believe from a possible bad set of wires and cracked distributor cap lol. More boost didnt run any faster. It was a fantastic driver. Had decent boost response, it was very good when stock cat converter was on car. My guess was the heat kept in the system helped. When i removed it it got laggy so i changed turbo housing to try get spool back. Needed to try wrapping the piping I guess but it was good enough for me.

Turbo done right is a heck of a nice combo. I love cammed na motors and that instant power, but turbo is better mannered and more flexible in the power curve manipulation. Add on demand or whatever you want
TheRedWedge94

Post by TheRedWedge94 »

How long did the car last ? Did it ever present any issues ? I figured running low boost like that should be fine, and even doing a rear mount, I could do all of the work myself; welding too. Better mannered, better throttle response. I would much more rather do a turbo over a cam, however I am doing what I can to make sure it is actually safe to do.
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

My guess it will handle it , but take a long look at Richards video's your will get addicted

just one phrase you said , if a cam can add 100bhp then the engine can take the turbo , i'd say yes but your view is wrong , generally a cam will move things to the right and a small increase in tq will net vast amounts of hp , BUT ,
look at f1 , the produce piss all tq , and especially old v10 v12 v8 n/a , and that's a kinda easy to get things to live , tq brakes and smashes everything , but at what your talking , say if you had crap oil pressure , lf wore bearings , the vast increase in tq low down probably 10x what the cam would do at the wrong end of the curve , puts more cylinder pressure at less ignition , pressing on the side loading of the piston and squeezing out he oil if not up to the job , so on that side it cannot be said that once it can take 100bhp it can take the boost , as n'a might bring 30lb tq where as the boost will be 110-180lb tq , but the n/a will be to the right where things are moving faster , and the load lasts for a far shorter time , and time x load is the killer so this is why the statement cannot be made ,

case in point , the little 1.3cc we do , on a std turbo with proper ecu set up , i pushed as we can make another 100bhp on these engines that come std turbo from the factory , but with the decent ecu , the turbo is to small std and falls on its face early , but we were heading towards an extra 50bhp at the std boost , where we made over 100lb tq low in the rpm , 3400 , bent the rod , but yet with fuel controllers and extra boost these can made nearly an extra 100bhp , just not the tq so low , but several survived with the extra tq at an extra 1000rpm for years

aside , id say u will be fine , ring gap excellent tune and don't bother with the cam , boost under 7psi can get away with no intercooler