Mating Two V8's, ( Freight Train) vs. Harmonics

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

agertz1
Re: Mating Two V8's, ( Freight Train) vs. Harmonics

Post by agertz1 »

Usage: Street roadster only. Hence 500hp. +/-. Well controlled, shallow wet-sump seems better suited. No need for 30 gal./min. in a non-aerated,
wet sump. I'm think more like (2) OEM gerotor pumps on a common drive. Dry sump tank or (1) + gravity-fed accusump(s), as needed.
Onward, Art.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I think you are way overthinking this.
Is your plan to mate them together with a single common oil pan?
Seperate oil pans and pumps for each engine should be more than ample for a street machine.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

agertz1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:34 pm Usage: Street roadster only. Hence 500hp. +/-. Well controlled, shallow wet-sump seems better suited. No need for 30 gal./min. in a non-aerated,
wet sump. I'm think more like (2) OEM gerotor pumps on a common drive. Dry sump tank or (1) + gravity-fed accusump(s), as needed.
Onward, Art.
If it is just a pair of small 250 HP engines, perhaps a single high volume BBC pump can supply both. The Rover engine is an evolution of the Aluminum 215 Buick, isn't it, with the oil pump in the timing cover? There are high volume extended gear/rotor and housing spacer/extension deals for V6 Buick and AMC with similar timing cover pumps, perhaps some variation of that. A single larger pump and connect oil galleys and sumps with plumbing.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Little Rover V8's are on the long side with all the gear on the front, two's gunna be a long motor.

Phasing, go for sound, if you want a V16 even as it can be fire, couple it at 45 degrees, if you want the sound of two V8's in unison couple at zero degree.

20230208_191842.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

Tom68 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:22 am Phasing, go for sound, if you want a V16 even as it can be fire, couple it at 45 degrees, if you want the sound of two V8's in unison couple at zero degree.
On the PowerNation Horsepower show where they coupled two 600 hp Big Block Chevys, they said it was easier on the starter, and it spun over a lot easier when coupled at 45 degrees... as the starter was not working against two cylinders at peak compression at the same time. Made a few extra HP as well. Not a lot, but a few.
agertz1

Post by agertz1 »

Structurally, 1 oil pan, ( pan on girdle). I prefer one wet pump, but how to equalize for both sumps ? If not balanced, one sump could cavitate ? Timing cover on rear motor has no water pump, ( ports are blocked). Cover is modded as needed for dual dist's + 1-2 pump oil pump sections. Full baffle between front/rear sumps. Oil run-off from drive area, drains into wet sump.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

agertz1 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:05 pm Structurally, 1 oil pan, ( pan on girdle). I prefer one wet pump, but how to equalize for both sumps ? If not balanced, one sump could cavitate ? Timing cover on rear motor has no water pump, ( ports are blocked). Cover is modded as needed for dual dist's + 1-2 pump oil pump sections. Full baffle between front/rear sumps. Oil run-off from drive area, drains into wet sump.
Have you noticed that with the exception of custom welded, siamesed engines the twins you see are 2 complete engines? There is a reason for that. 8)
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
cknight

Post by cknight »

I believe that Chet Herbert made a V16 SBC with welded together blocks and a one-piece crankshaft. Don't recall the results?
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

cknight wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:18 am I believe that Chet Herbert made a V16 SBC with welded together blocks and a one-piece crankshaft. Don't recall the results?
From being there in the day, the two blocks were bolted nose to nose onto a common center drive housing for the gears. The crankshaft was two welded together with a sleeve over the snouts. The result was spectacularly unsuccessful and soon abandoned.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
agertz1

Post by agertz1 »

I don't intend to "Don Quiote" on this but will proceed on what I learned at Chaffee College and life experiences.
Art.