Post by jake197000 »

you can get it out,scotch brite in the solvent tank works fine
ClassAct
Guru
Guru
Re: Clover Lapping Compound

Post by ClassAct »

skinny z wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:48 pm
BCjohnny wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:22 pm I think the crux of the matter is whether you're trying to bring the seat, or valve, 'in' by lapping or just trying to create a witness

The former is misguided, but I'd aver we've all been tempted to do it, the latter I don't really see a problem with

Different aims, different processes, different outcome ....... and FWIW I've seen more than a few 'machinists' tie themselves up in knots with 'blueing' a seat
As stated in post #1.
skinny z wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:55 am More of a check to see if the old valve job was still holding up.
The objective is to observe and not correct or change anything.
If all you want is a witness mark use 800 or 1k grit and get your mark. I’ve been doing it for decades. I’ve never seen any inkling of grit embedded in the seat or valve.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

ClassAct wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:17 pm
skinny z wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:48 pm
BCjohnny wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:22 pm I think the crux of the matter is whether you're trying to bring the seat, or valve, 'in' by lapping or just trying to create a witness

The former is misguided, but I'd aver we've all been tempted to do it, the latter I don't really see a problem with

Different aims, different processes, different outcome ....... and FWIW I've seen more than a few 'machinists' tie themselves up in knots with 'blueing' a seat
As stated in post #1.
skinny z wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:55 am More of a check to see if the old valve job was still holding up.
The objective is to observe and not correct or change anything.
If all you want is a witness mark use 800 or 1k grit and get your mark. I’ve been doing it for decades. I’ve never seen any inkling of grit embedded in the seat or valve.
While I can't say I've had any issues with using lapping compound in the past, I don't exactly have any criteria to draw from that would say it was a failure.
Maybe something on the higher end scale would see an issue? I can't say as my stuff is middle of the road.
That said, for that sake of a little experimentation, and to follow through on this thread, I'll try some of the more innocuous approaches like a marker or layout dye and see if I get what I'm after. I'll move on to the 1000 grit compound if those results don't cut it.
Kevin
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

You can get it out with scotch Brite. Pad and solvent tank