Toyota 22R valve lash.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Toyota 22R valve lash.

Post by dfarr67 »

Wondering if there is a lost art to lash setting- or they just sound like tractor engines after some miles when idling- not that bad but I would like to do better.

oem lash setting from memory is .008intake, .010exh, some guys set .007in and .009exh.
I have a small CC in there and Comp want .010in and .010exh.
Rockers and shaft are original with 200k km's, they were inspected and the shafts polished before re use.
At the factory- I would imagine Toyota set up things cold.

rocker+assembly.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Re: Toyota 22R valve lash.

Post by dfarr67 »

Good advise- from Camking

If you're run an iron/aluminum engine, set the cold lash xxx"-xxx" tighter then the recommended hot lash, then run the engine until it's up to temp, and shut it off, and quickly set the valve on one cylinder to the recommended hot lash settings. Let the engine fully cool down, then measure the lash on the cylinder you set hot, and those measurements are now your "Cold Lash" settings, and should be used to re-set the other cylinders lash while the engine is cold.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

AERA software says .008 In -.012 Ex cold. I would go by the cam manufactures cam card though. You say the shafts are polished but how do the rockers look at the valve tip ?
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I wouldn’t be expecting OEM levels of mechanical noise from an aftermarket performance cam.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

what causes intake valve lash to become greater over time. DOHC- solid bucket.

exhaust always tighten up over time and that makes sense.

unless the OE's set intake loose at the factory, what gives?
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

I had a 22RE for a long time last century. Exhaust valve sinks into the seat and intakes got loose. Every time I adjusted the lash (annually), I got a tad lower gas mileage. What did make noise is the timing chain. They need a new chain and tensioners after 125k miles as the rattling gets a little annoying at times. I think when I replaced a leaky head gasket I replaced the chain only and the guy who bought it ran it to over 200k miles.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

- SOHC no buckets.
- This is a relatively young head aftermarket new.
- At the valve stem tip, is where all the adjusting screws are, this assembly was removed and inspected the head was placed on a rebuilt turbo block. Maybe could use a set of new screws.
- chain and guides are new double roller.