Billet sbc oil pump

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Hilton

Billet sbc oil pump

Post by Hilton »

Looking to buy a Billet pump for my next engine build a 377 SBC .Can't decide which between the Moroso 22171 or the melling 10055ST-825SS Pros or cons of each pump . Thanks
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Re: Billet sbc oil pump

Post by rebelyell »

Hilton wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:49 pm Looking to buy a Billet pump for my next engine build a 377 SBC .Can't decide which between the Moroso 22171 or the melling 10055ST-825SS Pros or cons of each pump . Thanks
What will motor be used for? Both Primary & any Secondary usage?

For your purposes --- what will a $400 pump do for you ? --- that a $60 pump cannot ?
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

This post has been haunting me. Both of those pumps are incredibly cool. What is the need? Do you have miles of coolers and lines?

I want to share a story of when I was in the hospital and encouraged my customer to send out a "freshen up" rebuild to my old boss. You know, scratch hone, rings, bearings, valve job touch, check the guides, replace and throw the springs away, etc etc.

He calls to check on me and informs about progress and that Dave had "upgraded" the oil pump to the new Shark tooth. I was glad he was taken care of quickly but as soon as we got off the phone I called Dave and drilled him about the oil pump, also informed him that the old tried and true pump that I had carefully blueprinted with ported anti-cav and Century Spring of my choosing, should have never been replaced #-o

Sure as shit, on lap 98 of 100 we were leading, the pump seizes and takes the distributor around like an octopus on crack. DNF
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I have an older non-ST version of the Billet Melling that I got in a good deal. It's a nice pump, even with the lightest spring it had more oil PSI cold/hot than my old stock type pump But I did mod/port it a bit for flow.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I started this post mostly because I've seen this question asked many times with no response . The majority of these pumps I heard are used in big blocks not small blocks .True i don't want to spend 400 hundred on a pump unless it's the last pump I ever buy and there's a performance advantage ,but what I like is no pickup to break off or pump base to break . Thanks
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

I like your thinking process. I do like the idea of these pumps but I have no experience using them. Hopefully others will chime in. Shoot even my over 11,000 rpm BBC's had a Melling M77 slightly modified style and no probs so I figured not to fix what wasn't "broke"
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

I have a buddy running the big block version of the Moroso...Honestly, there isn't a performance advantage to running it, however the oil pressure in his blown alky funny car is rock solid pass after pass. I think the advantage is the mounting...Older design cast pumps can break the mounting and fall off the main cap. His is secured by a stud and doesn't move. He did crack a "standard design" high volume pump before he went to that...zero issues since. So for peace of mind, at least as far as pump mounting goes, I'd do it in a heartbeat, especially if you are in a situation that involves high shock or g-forces, vibration, or something similar....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Yah as Coloradoracer said, I think they're big with boats.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!