Head Porting for Fuel Milage

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BobbyB
Pro
Pro
Head Porting for Fuel Milage

Post by BobbyB »

Currently rebuilding a 2.8 ford V6 for an 83 ranger 4x4 truck with 4 speed manual transmission.

What modifications to the heads will help with fuel milage and low speed torque? I am not concerned with peak horsepower.

I expect to have Mike regrind a cam. I have access to a flowbench.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Head Porting for Fuel Milage

Post by PackardV8 »

Carb or EFI? It makes a difference.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Its a gas engine. Don't expect it to drive like a turbo diesel.

Just some bowl work is more than enough since you aren't trying to move peak torque up.

I would say have Mike grind you a cam and find someone with a load cell and wideband.

Then go after tires and aero. Look at some new gmc and Ford trucks carefully, you will notice immediately.
Wetflow

Post by Wetflow »

Would a 5 angle valve job on the intake and radius on the exhaust also help with this?
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

PackardV8 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:14 am Carb or EFI? It makes a difference.
2 barrel carb
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

The bottom line in terms of what your talking about here is efficiency.

Improvements in assisting the motor to not have to work at pumping out the Exh gasses that it does produce is where I would start with.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Raise the compression ratio. That will improve efficiency across the entire rpm range.

Put it on a dyno and plot the BSFC curves.

Drive the vehicle in the rpm sweet spot. (see typical BSFC curves)
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

As others said efficiency, just cleaning up n blending bad edges/alignments, Intake manifold & exhaust as well.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

BobbyB wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:00 am Currently rebuilding a 2.8 ford V6 for an 83 ranger 4x4 truck with 4 speed manual transmission. . . . 2 barrel carb
There are some 2-bbls of that vintage like half a QuadraJet; small primary, large vacuum secondary. Which carb will you be using?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:56 am Raise the compression ratio. That will improve efficiency across the entire rpm range.

Where do I find typical BSFC curves?
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

PackardV8 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:50 pm
BobbyB wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:00 am Currently rebuilding a 2.8 ford V6 for an 83 ranger 4x4 truck with 4 speed manual transmission. . . . 2 barrel carb
There are some 2-bbls of that vintage like half a QuadraJet; small primary, large vacuum secondary. Which carb will you be using?
Either a motorcraft 2150 or Holley 350. Might try annular boosters in the Holley.
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:56 am Raise the compression ratio. That will improve efficiency across the entire rpm range.

How high do you think I can safely go with iron heads and 87 octane fuel? I do not plant to use a computer controlled ignition or knock sensor.
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

If the 2.8 is like the 4.0 they used a bazillion of in the Rangers in later years, there's BIG gains available. I used to do a fair number of those heads for repair shops back in the day. Early 2000 era. I remember one in particular, this truck was the guys baby. Had it since new. It was immaculate. Had 130k. Started using antifreeze, my friend's repair shop determined it was a head gasket going away. Guy said fix it, do whatever it takes, it's my baby and I want it perfect.

I did a lot of heads for them and was told, price is no object, replace or do whatever they need. Ok. Guides were smoked, exhaust seats were pounded (induction hardened), assuming the 2.8 seats are also? And the exhaust valves were junk. I ordered new SBI replacement exhaust valves, and the seats they listed for that engine. When I installed the seats, the was a giant ridge left under the valve in the throat, the as cast throat size was ridiculously undersized for the valve diameter, maybe on purpose? But probably not. So I set up a throat cutter, removed the ridge, did a nice radius performance type exhaust seat, did a more performance oriented intake seat, still with basically "stock" angles, just put the seat closer to the outer edge, still used a 30 degree top cut, it was stock after all, and it allowed me to add a 4th angle and use a throat cut to open the intake bowl up some. Then I hand blended the bowls, without getting carried away, but it was a VERY dramatic difference. I also back cut the intake valves, and surfaced the heads .015, to give it a little bump in compression without going to far and causing issues with geometry or intake fitment.

It woke the thing up so much, the mechanic called me to ask WTF did I do to those heads? He said he had worked on the truck for 100,000 miles and drove it many times. He said it will light the tire up from a roll, it's literally fast, and it made him giggle, he could not believe how much that made a difference. Guy picks truck up, comes back after 5 minutes, and asked them the same question. WTF did you guys do to my truck? After a week, he reported that he gained 5+mpg. So, if your 2.8 is anything like the 4.0 litres, which I'd imagine it is, there's a fair gain to be had.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Best things for fuel mileage are a super good valve job and compression and drive with a light foot. :lol:
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

BobbyB wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:00 pm

Where do I find typical BSFC curves?
You're making it by head work and cam selection.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.