Cross sectional area

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Cross sectional area

Post by 408 Nova »

I'm building a sb2.2. Cross sectional area at the intake face of the heads is around 3.25 inches, and looks to be about that size all the way to the intake valve.

For maximum horsepower, should the runner entrance under the carb in the intake manifolds match this, be smaller, or be bigger?
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Cross sectional area

Post by FC-Pilot »

Bigger.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

No idea about sb2.2, probably something good and this is just a general observation..

Bigger, ok, although we still need to choose the grinder wisely. A thinner one may have fewer functions and be less efficient throughout the RPM range, but without the added lenght the bigger grinder may actually be lighter :?

IMG_20230126_210718__01.jpg
IMG_20230126_210758__01.jpg
IMG_20230126_211653__01.jpg
IMG_20230126_205441.jpg

-juhana
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

A general rule of Thumb is to have the runner expand 2% per inch of runner lenght.

This will not harm, but it might not be the best either, as a example I offer this from my personal experience 30 years ago.

On a local buddy of mine SB mopar Brodix heads that I ported up for a second time due to the stroking of his motor I also flow tested a new Intake he was running but I never got to test out a long with the heads before this time.

Upon getting my hand on the Intake I was struck by how much expansion rate the runners had and said to myself this must be excessive, I am talking like the runners expanded a easy total of 1/2" from the flange to the plenum.

When flow testing both the heads and Intake together I found that if brought down the expansion rate I picked up 25 to 30 cfm.

I then set about to close up the runners with epoxy and give the Intake back to buddy to run at the strip that Sunday.

On Sunday evening he called me to say that the car lost near a full second in ET!

During the following week I chiseled and ground out the epoxy , he bolted the Intake back on that next Saturday at the track and all the lost ET right came back!

In short without a heck of a lot of flow bench time tracking velocity of the whole Intake side of the motor a long with calculating what the port area needs to be to average out the velocity profile that works best in the motors power band to not exceed 350 fps is the type of work that needs to be done to answer your question the best.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Junhanaa, I think you misread what the OP is asking about in this post!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

You probably would end up around 4.5" on long runners and 4.200" on short runners on plenum openings .Taper this down from there to your 3.25"It all would depend on manifold runner length and intake used,and intended rpm.
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

mag2555 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:40 am Junhanaa, I think you misread what the OP is asking about in this post!
Probably, but so far it appears he might need some grinder though.

-juhana
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger