30x9 slicks

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

408 Nova
Pro
Pro

30x9 slicks

Post by 408 Nova »

Why do a lot of stockers and super stockers run them? Maximum traction that will fit in the fender well?

And who is the best manufacturer for them? I'd like to run them or some 29x9's if they will fit without cutting anything.

Application is a small tire, 5 speed, 900 hp, and 2700 lbs race weight 68 Nova with Cal-Tracs.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Re: 30x9 slicks

Post by 6.50camaro »

9" is the widest tire allowed in Stock eliminator. 30 is about the tallest that will fit in stock wellhouse openings with some legal trimming.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

And 30 is also the largest diameter for stockers even superstock car are limited to 32 diameter.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

You probably won't run a 30x9 radial on a stick car.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

On your light weight car (if its really only 2700 lbs)
You may find that adding ballast weight over and or behind the rear axle may help.
9x29 drag race slicks hook good. 900 hp and a 5 sp manual may be a challange.
The bias ply "wrinkle wall" slicks create a bigger longer tire foor print on the road surface and tend to be better to hook up on less than ideal tracks.
The radial type slicks need more exact chassis setup and work best on well prepped sticky tracks. The top end mph tends to be a bit better.
Both types will require you being on yiur game with chassis, weight distribution, tire pressure, cal trac setup,
Transmission gear choice and rear gear optimination to get the best possible car perf out of the engine HP.
With just a 9" slick its not all going to happen on the first track day.

Goodyear, Mickey Thompson, Hoosier. Everybody has their favourites.

Is this a "Power Adder" car?
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

The 1st time I tried a set of 30X9 radial slicks was in 2019 at a muscle car event over my 28X9 bias ply slick. Even spinning a touch my car was well over a tenth quicker and almost 2 mph faster with them and I did do the back to back test, the car did slow down with the bias tires both times. I am sold on these tires.
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:34 pm On your light weight car (if its really only 2700 lbs)
You may find that adding ballast weight over and or behind the rear axle may help.
The bias ply "wrinkle wall" slicks create a bigger longer tire foor print on the road surface and tend to be better to hook up on less than ideal tracks.
The radial type slicks need more exact chassis setup and work best on well prepped sticky tracks. The top end mph tends to be a bit better.
Both types will require you being on yiur game with chassis, weight distribution, tire pressure, cal trac setup,
Transmission gear choice and rear gear optimination to get the best possible car perf out of the engine HP.

No sir, it's an all motor car. It really will weigh 2700 lbs when we get it back together. The block is aluminum and the car has a Smith Racecraft chrome moly front end under it, lightweight brakes and all that kinda stuff.

It's for a heads up small tire class, run what you brung.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

1980RS wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:27 am The 1st time I tried a set of 30X9 radial slicks was in 2019 at a muscle car event over my 28X9 bias ply slick. Even spinning a touch my car was well over a tenth quicker and almost 2 mph faster with them and I did do the back to back test, the car did slow down with the bias tires both times. I am sold on these tires.
Bob,
Do you recall what the rpm difference was between the 2 at the finish line?
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

steve cowan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:42 pm
1980RS wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:27 am The 1st time I tried a set of 30X9 radial slicks was in 2019 at a muscle car event over my 28X9 bias ply slick. Even spinning a touch my car was well over a tenth quicker and almost 2 mph faster with them and I did do the back to back test, the car did slow down with the bias tires both times. I am sold on these tires.
Bob,
Do you recall what the rpm difference was between the 2 at the finish line?
I think it was around 250 rpm Steve.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

If the new copo mustang and dragpac supercharged cars can hook up and go down the track with 30x9 slicks mostly Hoosier they can sure get your car down it but you will have to get some really good shocks and suspension to get it done.
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

408 Nova wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:13 am
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:34 pm On your light weight car (if its really only 2700 lbs)

No sir, it's an all motor car. It really will weigh 2700 lbs when we get it back together. The block is aluminum and the car has a Smith Racecraft chrome moly front end under it, lightweight brakes and all that kinda stuff.

It's for a heads up small tire class, run what you brung.
If in fact it is a “small tire” class...check your event rules as I believe most consider a 30" diameter a “large tire"
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Rolling resistance and lack of growth with the radials.

They work!

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com