14.5hp B&S 2 cylinder

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
14.5hp B&S 2 cylinder

Post by travis »

We've got an old Craftsman riding mower that one of my kids acquired to make a go-cart out of. All the mowing parts have been removed, and whatever 18hp engine it came with was replaced with this old 14.5hp Briggs and Stratton 2 cylinder before we got it. The electric starter was fried and the wiring was a disaster, so I rewired it yesterday, installed a new starter relay and switch, replaced the starter, and rebuilt the carb. It now starts and runs like it should.

I also wired in a kill switch, but I can't get it to work. This has the typical "magneto" type ignition...magnet on the flywheel, coil mounted right next to the flywheel. There is a small connector mounted underneath the coil that I wired to a toggle switch on the dash, and from there it is wired to a grounding point on the frame. Connectivity verified between the coil connector and the frame, and the toggle switch functions as it should. But...it doesn't kill the engine...it does nothing with the toggle switch in either position. It will start and run with the switch in either position.

My understanding is that this is the correct way to wire in a kill switch on these things. So I'm guessing either there is something wrong with the coil... possibly no connectivity between the coil and that little connector, or it isn't actually grounding out. I don't know if it matters, but there is no permanent mounted battery...the battery is only used to start the engine, then is removed before it is driven.

Any idea what I am missing?
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Re: 14.5hp B&S 2 cylinder

Post by pcnsd »

Short the positive side of the ignition coil to ground.
- Paul
Hobbsy55

Re: 14.5hp B&S 2 cylinder

Post by Hobbsy55 »

You are correct, bad earth between coil and block? The wire coming out of the potted coil and earthing to the laminations is a single strand attached with a small screw, might be worth checking.

Steven