SBC Distributor options ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Re: SBC Distributor options ?

Post by Tom68 »

BOOT wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:08 pm You should be able to and since yours is an air-gap, drill all 12 that is https://youtu.be/tStMtkF3420 I've wanted to do an air-gap for awhile just not had the need since I have 3 non-vortec air gap dual planes atm. [edit: Actually wanted to find an air gap 12 bolt but ended up going with non for the video I'm editing atm. Prob would have settled with vortec air gap, if I could of found one cheap enough]
Procomp low dual plane has enough room to drill for center bolts and can tap the Vortec heads to guarantee the 1255s stay in place.

Vortec manifold bolts.JPG

20211228_113708.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Tom68 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:46 pm Procomp low dual plane has enough room to drill for center bolts and can tap the Vortec heads to guarantee the 1255s stay in place.
Looks like that intake can be adapted easy. Went with the ebay intakes that I have because they are the same plenum/runner style as weiand vortec/summit vortec/GM 12676887
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

rgalajda wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:45 pm May I ask why you would use a Vortec intake that needs to be drilled? Also what's wrong with the HEI distributor in the picture?
Turns out I do have a regular airgap, I bought it to cut up, but besides having to weld some port floors for gasket seal it lacks port height and sealing area (2.75" v 2.55") also needs a 120 thou gasket to get the ports somewhere near alignment.

20230205_161758.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Tom68 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:44 am Turns out I do have a regular airgap, I bought it to cut up, but besides having to weld some port floors for gasket seal it lacks port height and sealing area (2.75" v 2.55") also needs a 120 thou gasket to get the ports somewhere near alignment.
Exactly why I was considering a Vortec dual plane for a future project, they have a nice amount of material on their flanges 8)
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

One of the problems I have found with the cheap distributors is the chinesium drive gear that is only slightly harder than stale peanut butter. By the time you replace the module and gear how much have you really saved? And the rest of the components are the cheapest parts you can possibly buy. I usually go with the MSD distributor and swap on a good American made Morel gear. Yes, the majority of the MSD components are now made in china also, but at least it's not the cheapest stuff.
Carlquist Competition Engines
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Allstar Performance has melonized gears in both .491" & .500" for $20