Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

SBC Distributor options ?

Post by Tom68 »

Must have Vac advance.

Must have a rev limiter.

Big or small cap diameter.

Last one I bought was a MSD street fire, came with a melonized gear so that was good, works fine, vac adv only lasted a couple of years, have to replace module to get a rev limiter.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC Distributor options ?

Post by racear2865 »

Get a D.U.I.
reed
Bryan Maloney

Post by Bryan Maloney »

Have you seen the distributors from Progressive?
https://progressionignition.com/
There is a thread on them here on S.T.
I had a coil compatibility issue with the first one I tried but after sorting that out; I have been very impressed.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Bryan Maloney wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:43 pm Have you seen the distributors from Progressive?
https://progressionignition.com/
There is a thread on them here on S.T.
I had a coil compatibility issue with the first one I tried but after sorting that out; I have been very impressed.
I like that, pretty pricey out here in OZ.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

I wonder if these are any good ?

Distributor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Get a HEI from Road Star in Sydney. About $80 from memory. Have used heaps of them in different engines. Come with adj vac adv & have a steel gear for use with roller cams. Buy the MSD # 83647 module, which comes adj rev limiter AND has a higher 7.5 amp switched current [ stock is about 5.5 amp ].
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Aaaaaaaaah yes. DUI. I have one of their catalogs. At least in two places in it, it uses the term: the 'explosion' of the mixture......
I decided I would not buy any ign components from an ign company that does not understand the ign principle.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Geoff2 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:28 am Get a HEI from Road Star in Sydney. About $80 from memory. Have used heaps of them in different engines. Come with adj vac adv & have a steel gear for use with roller cams. Buy the MSD # 83647 module, which comes adj rev limiter AND has a higher 7.5 amp switched current [ stock is about 5.5 amp ].
Playing with their Vortec manifold right now, looks like I can drill it for the Brodix heads, about to run a camera down the ports.
Should work with a FP1289, or if I need some height I can trim some 1255s.

20230204_165555.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tom68 on Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Geoff2 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:28 am Get a HEI from Road Star in Sydney. About $80 from memory. Have used heaps of them in different engines. Come with adj vac adv & have a steel gear for use with roller cams. Buy the MSD # 83647 module, which comes adj rev limiter AND has a higher 7.5 amp switched current [ stock is about 5.5 amp ].
The 83647 module is a good deal. I think they make the coil-in-cap HEI have more spark energy than a 6 CD box. Another little trick they have is below 400 they retard and multi-spark for starting cranking. (I forget how much retard but I think 22 (?) degrees)
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Tuner wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:08 am
The 83647 module is a good deal. I think they make the coil-in-cap HEI have more spark energy than a 6 CD box. Another little trick they have is below 400 they retard and multi-spark for starting cranking. (I forget how much retard but I think 22 (?) degrees)
Start retard is needed on another one I've done, I have the Street fire in it now with it's standard module, 83647 sitting here waiting to go in.

I put an 8634 in my 327 some years back, best I check if it has the rev limiter function.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Tom68 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:59 am Playing with their Vortec manifold right now, looks like I can drill it for the Brodix heads, about to run a camera down the ports.
Should work with a FP1289, or if I need some height I can trim some 1255s.
You should be able to and since yours is an air-gap, drill all 12 that is https://youtu.be/tStMtkF3420 I've wanted to do an air-gap for awhile just not had the need since I have 3 non-vortec air gap dual planes atm. [edit: Actually wanted to find an air gap 12 bolt but ended up going with non for the video I'm editing atm. Prob would have settled with vortec air gap, if I could of found one cheap enough]

Back on subject like others said any decent vac large cap HEI with an upgraded msd limiter type module, bought compete that way or adding the module yourself to a cheaper billet HEI. Use to be some Accel large cap HEI for like $50 on ebay.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

May I ask why you would use a Vortec intake that needs to be drilled? Also what's wrong with the HEI distributor in the picture?
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

Why do you need a rev limiter ?
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

rgalajda wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:45 pm May I ask why you would use a Vortec intake that needs to be drilled? Also what's wrong with the HEI distributor in the picture?
The taller ports match the Brodix, plus I have it. Don't want to buy a regular one and find out the ports aren't tall enough.

I'll have to look at that dizzy, it's an ultra cheap one that was given to me.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Monza355 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:50 pm Why do you need a rev limiter ?
Because I've had too many experiences of people over revving. The old days we had points to float.

The worst one I had was a circuit racer doing it on down shifts, 10,500 every corner, limiter didn't help there, he was shifting down too early, still don't know how he managed it, close ratio box, 1st was 1.72:1, 100 mph 1st gear.