Power doesn't matter, valve springs ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Power doesn't matter, valve springs ?

Post by Tom68 »

383, old brodix heads, (maybe 190cc's, doesn't matter) dual plane intake, rev limited to 6000.

Going to use a GM 212 222 P/N24502476 HFT cam.

Head and valves only accommodate a 1.70" installed height without going to plus retainers and plus locks.

So in theory I can run a standard SBC valve spring with 80 odd lbs of seat pressure, in the past I always would have run a Z28 LT1 valve spring on these low lift deals.

I don't like the high pound inch spring rate of the LT1 spring but the extra seat pressure I do like.

Do I run a stock spring, an LT1 spring, or is there a better option these days ?

I also used to run low spring rate bigger diameter springs for the higher seat pressure low nose pressure on these sort of builds.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Re: Power doesn't matter, valve springs ?

Post by Geoff2 »

Beehives. Comp #26986 or similar.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

T. Willie's advice was don't use larger than the 1.25" diameter spring on under .500 lift. The standard spring will be fine. The old 346 and 151 cams turned well over 6000 with them for thousands of miles. All more pressure will give you is more friction and less power.

Chevrolet used the same standard SBC spring on low performance 327-350 cams and higher RPM cams by using a retainer with shorter installed height for more seat pressure with the HP cams.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Geoff2 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:22 am Beehives. Comp #26986 or similar.
Like it, gotta add a 100 thou, 11/32 pus 100 beehive retainers should be available.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Tuner wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:35 am T. Willie's advice was don't use larger than the 1.25" diameter spring on under .500 lift. The standard spring will be fine. The old 346 and 151 cams turned well over 6000 with them for thousands of miles. All more pressure will give you is more friction and less power.

Chevrolet used the same standard SBC spring on low performance 327-350 cams and higher RPM cams by using a retainer with shorter installed height for more seat pressure with the HP cams.
That's sort of what I'm thinking, standard springs, at least to run the cam in, go stiffer if it pumps the lifters up.

Only thing that stops me is I have a 327 with LT1 springs and a 210 210 cam, and I manage to pump the lifters up on that from time to time, no rev limiter or tacho though, so no idea at what revs they pump up, just when the scream turns to a gurgle.
Last edited by Tom68 on Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Go local Tom.

Crow Cams 4931-16 or 4828-16
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Anyone inclined to do the math can run the springs across Hooke's Law and understand why T. Willy said to not use larger than 1.25" diameter spring with under .500 lift. The larger spring will enter a surge condition at lower RPM because the larger spring has a lower natural frequency.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Tuner wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:24 am Anyone inclined to do the math can run the springs across Hooke's Law and understand why T. Willy said to not use larger than 1.25" diameter spring with under .500 lift. The larger spring will enter a surge condition at lower RPM because the larger spring has a lower natural frequency.
I've done a lot of spring math over the years, what formula do you have for that ?

Like the bumble bee, down tell the Cleveland V8 engineers that, or all those Clevelands will have never flown.

In the suspension world, larger diameter springs are more stable, less prone to buckling and the associated rate loss.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Tom68 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:58 am
Tuner wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:24 am Anyone inclined to do the math can run the springs across Hooke's Law and understand why T. Willy said to not use larger than 1.25" diameter spring with under .500 lift. The larger spring will enter a surge condition at lower RPM because the larger spring has a lower natural frequency.
I've done a lot of spring math over the years, what formula do you have for that ?

Like the bumble bee, down tell the Cleveland V8 engineers that, or all those Clevelands will have never flown.

In the suspension world, larger diameter springs are more stable, less prone to buckling and the associated rate loss.
Don't conflate low frequency suspension spring requirements with high frequency valve spring applications.

I think it is the Goodman diagram that explains it. The spring needs to be stressed enough the surge frequency is above maximum engine speed. Obviously, we understand there is a range of stress the spring needs to be within in the circumstances it is installed and run. Although for different reasons, too little is as wrong as too much.

At the same seat pressure the larger spring is stressed less, so the frequency at which it will begin to surge is lower and can be within the engine's operating speed range. The smaller spring is stressed higher so the surge frequency is higher, like a tighter guitar string, and is above engine speed. Valve float occurs when the spring enters the surge condition.

With low lift, under .500", the spring larger than 1.25" isn't stressed enough to avoid surge.

20 years ago the 305 Chevy for SCCA A/S was limited to .480" lift. This was a problem for the CompCamTards who insisted on using the 1.437" spring with their special spec rule cam, but even with 175 on the seat the CC hot mess still floated at less than 6000 RPM. The T. Willy setup with a 1.25" spring with 110 on the seat would turn 7500 with no float.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

I noticed in a post recently somebody was trying to source a spring with minimal clearance between coils at full lift, guess they were going for a high stress situation.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

A quick note....

Maybe the PAC Racing 1201???

/awaiting the wrath of the elders. :lol:
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I have all kinds of those small diameter valve springs I use on a lot of low lift cams. Never had much trouble with them until you float the things at 7K.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

This is all you need with that cam.

https://www.racingsprings.com/index.php ... 11373.html
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Hi, Mike,

I trust your recommendations, so trying to learn something here. I've been going to beehives whenever possible and have usually found about another 300-500 RPM over same seat pressure cylindrical. Why would we choose the old school cylindrical over the beehive?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Tuner wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:35 am T. Willie's advice was don't use larger than the 1.25" diameter spring on under .500 lift. The standard spring will be fine. The old 346 and 151 cams turned well over 6000 with them for thousands of miles. All more pressure will give you is more friction and less power.

Cool you knew/know T. Willie. What a character, love that guy :lol:

The GM "Blue" beehive spring would be great(12499224)...just not sure where you will find an 11/32 retainer for it on the cheap.

I've used plenty of the sets Mike suggested, they are pretty awesome too.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl