Filter cut database.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Filter cut database.

Post by Tom68 »

I'm often horrified with the amount of metal in the oil filter on new builds.

It wouldn't w orry me but sometimes you get none.

My last two, I'd show the embarrasing amount in the bottom of one of the cannisters to, but I binned it begore thinking to take a photo. The orange flecks are paint marker not copper, won't be using that again, back to the blue die marker.

Pictures don't show up how bad it is.

20230205_110621.jpg
20230205_110529.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Filter cut database.

Post by Tom68 »

20230205_112032.jpg

20230205_111941.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

I can’t see much. If I blow it up it just gets blurry.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

ClassAct wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:50 pm I can’t see much. If I blow it up it just gets blurry.
Yer might have to get a better camera and host the photos elsewhere for full resolution.

Maybe sharing pictures will cause posters grief with bad feedback from those that haven't really seen it.

I had a boat motor that kept coming up with copper in the filter, I expect it was thrust bearing material, the sump only held 2.5 litres of oil because it was in the boat backwards and sitting low for the dog engaged prop shaft coming off the nose of the crank. I reckon I cut 4 filters, got copper every time, left it in the hands of the mechanic owner after that, that was 15 years ago, boats still going.
Last edited by Tom68 on Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

I wash and scrub and brush the holes and still get stuff at first. I just open the filter as much as possible and as long as it improves I am happy. Realistically, if something is wrong, it will deteriorate rapidly, not improve.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

One time I had some red flakes that I couldn't figure out, then some time later I used a tool and was like, oh that's where those came from!

edit: Funny part is I forgot what tool it was :lol:
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

On my personal builds and customers if I can talk them into it, I use system one oil filters, easy to take apart and inspect every oil change, they cost a little, but eventually they pay for themselves because you never have to buy another filter. I always make a big mess trying to cut stock filters apart. One thing I see when I clean my filters is the amount of silicone from sealing gaskets that flakes off and gets caught in the filter.
fastvette
Expert
Expert

Post by fastvette »

I always do break in / dyno with a paper filters. Screen filters don't filter fine enough for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itIITBanJDs
http://www.harshmanauto.com
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

fastvette wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:55 pm I always do break in / dyno with a paper filters. Screen filters don't filter fine enough for me.
and pre '68 SBC are the most convenient, add an oil drain plug to the cannister and you have the ultimate.

.....takes photo under work hack. I think it's had at least one oil change since that 2016 date :lol:

Oh, that's 612,000 km, not miles.

20230206_171621.jpg
BLstangin

Post by BLstangin »

The oil in this pan is out of a filter off of a brand new hemi 5.7 reman engine with 500 miles on it with amsoil breakin oil in it. The oil pressure hasnt moved since initial startup and its now got 2,000 miles on it with no signs of issues. There was almost no metal caught in the filter itself but the oil out of the filter looked like glitter.
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

After cutting filters apart I've got off the " racing" filters and went back to stock style filters. If I need more flow I look for a bigger filter.
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

Maybe a silly question, but is there any value to adding a big, powerful magnet to the bottom of an oil filter housing?

Not a remotely cheap magnet, but... https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RZ0X84

Adam
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Not a silly question. "rare earth" magnets are my favorite in a lot of spots on an engine. They will "grab" even the best stainless. You can watch for things. I am working on an aluminum magnet :wink:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:27 pm Maybe a silly question, but is there any value to adding a big, powerful magnet to the bottom of an oil filter housing?

Not a remotely cheap magnet, but... https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RZ0X84

Adam
Not but so important with GM products where they keep the bypass valve well away from the gravity aided collection point, Very important for manufacturers that got their design wrong.

Oddly, back when I wanted FL-820S's, there was no such thing in OZ.

Ford Filter fail..jpg
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

If you have a filter bypass problem, you already have a problem.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl