350 vortec no start help

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

350 vortec no start help

Post by prairiehotrodder »

2000 chevy 3/4 ton with the old style 350 vortec.

Has spark and fuel

cranks really hard like the timing is far advanced

kicks back as it cranks.

won't start

timing chain seems tight.

Tons of parts have already been replaced by the owner searching for the problem . Cap, rotor, MAF, plugs, wires,
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
In-Tech
Vendor

Re: 350 vortec no start help

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya Brian,
The timing is controlled by the front crank sensor, the cam sensor distributor is basically for rotor phasing and sequential sync so it will run "non batch" fire.
Pull the front sensor and check for metal "fuzz" then check to make sure the reluctor wheel hasn't spun on the woodruff key.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Dist gear is another possible cause and easy to check if if the rotor moves.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

reluctor looks ok from what i can see through the hole. Crank sensor was replaced.

distributor also looks ok. Rotor doesn't turn on the shaft.

Cranking psi is about 125 cold so i don't think the chain has moved.

Spark plugs get soaking wet.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Test the gas, knew a guy who went n replaced/checked it all to find out he just filled up with mostly water.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Matt Compton

Post by Matt Compton »

Also if distributor was removed at anytime, you need to be sure its sync'd with a scan tool.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

pulled the balancer off to better check the reluctor wheel and it appears ok. Timing chain feels ok / rotor moves immediately when i turn the crankshaft.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

dot to dot on the chain should have the rotor pointed at #6 if you want to check that. That flat cap can be a bit confusing. Look closely. It's very easy to mess up the firing order.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I always remember those spyder injector systems causing all sorts of problems. I know this, anything less than 50psi fuel pressure and that 350 won't run.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

^^^this^^^ had one acted up w/ same symptoms --- fuel pump --- common failure --- fuel pump

and --- oh joy --- pump's in top of tank ](*,) --- either drop tank or cut access panel thru bed.

also, test cam sync sensor --- it's inside distributor --- looks like an ignition pickup or trigger but it's a cam sync sensor.

also, ensure dist vents are open & clear
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Something is definitely rotten in Denmark. Cranking compression should be 50+ psi higher. The timing chains on these things seem to last forever. Definitely make sure fuel pressure is 50+ psi with key on engine off. The ignition module is also something that will bite you in the arse...when they fail you can get all kinds of crazy popping and misfiring. Does the engine start then stop immediately, or not fire at all? Verify plug wires are on the right terminals (easy to get wrong). Don't even bother with parts store distributor caps and rotors...get a good brass terminal cap like an MSD (makes a world of difference). Check plugs for signs of antifreeze (intake gaskets are a common failure point on these). Double check for vacuum leaks as well...these things seem quite sensitive to them. Make sure the valve adjustment isn't too tight, and check for bent pushrods.

Just thinking aloud the issues I've seen on a handful of L31's myself
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

1980RS wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:33 pm I always remember those spyder injector systems causing all sorts of problems. I know this, anything less than 50psi fuel pressure and that 350 won't run.
Yep if it has the old spider injectors pull the intake and look at them. I have seen them backfire in the manifold and melt the lines, and somebody mentioned water in the fuel, those injectors will not pass water through the nozzles. Years ago I helped a guy get one running that was flooded.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Seems to be a lot of going about this the long way, mechanically.

1. Spark. Test with a big gap, so you know it can fire a shitty mixture.

2. If you thing the spark is at the wrong time, get at least a rough TDC mark, use a timing light and confirm the spark is before TDC.

3. Fuel, all the advice for this is in the responses, I've never physically seen an L31, not true I walked under one on a hoist.

4. Comp, you done that and you would have done it making a TDC mark otherwise, although not with a gauge.

5. Well it's not 5, but cam timing has been mentioned, when you're rough TDC shows No 1 at the end of the compression stroke, the valves on number 6 will be in overlap. But you'd already confirmed spark was at approximately the right time.

Fresh fuels been mentioned, if the fuel is in an atmospheric vented tank you need to check it, spill some on the floor, light it, and if it burns like kerosene it won't be good enough to start an engine. That's normally many years old fuel that does that though.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
BB70

Post by BB70 »

Anyway to drop the exh before the cat convertor(s). Had this happen a time or two. Good luck.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

BB70 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:43 am Anyway to drop the exh before the cat convertor(s). Had this happen a time or two. Good luck.
Remove the O2 sensor.