Dry sumps and crankcase vacuum

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dry sumps and crankcase vacuum

Post by Guest »

I'm wondering what would be the most effective approach--to run a five or six stage oil pump with no vacuum pump or to run a four stage pump with a vacuum pump?

Does anyone know if current Pro Stockers have vacuum pumps or do the oil pumps pull enough crankcase vacuum alone?

Thanks!
bsfc9

Post by bsfc9 »

If you are running a quality dry sump pump and your engine is good and sealed you should have no problem with pulling a good pan depression. I have seen 18 inches with a peterson 5-stage. Toss the vacuum pump.

Post by Guest »

Do you know if a five stage spur gear-type pump like a Barnes is capable of pulling a vacuum or is a gerotor-type pump necessary?
bsfc9

Post by bsfc9 »

A spur gear pump should pull vacuum, although a g-rotor may be more efficient at doing so. Remember...a well sealed engine is a must. Barnes is a great brand of pump!

Post by Guest »

We have always used a vertical mill for lifter-truing with our BHJ kit, and as BHJ reccomends we would flood the reamer with the mill's on-board coolant pump. Now we have a seat and guide machine to speed up the operation, but cannot flood the area because of the mess it would make. What are some options that people are doing in the real world? Can I use cutting lube in a squeeze bottle while it cut? Or...???
Thanks,
Gerry

Post by Guest »

Sorry, that was supposed to be a new topic
Jerry