blower cam for RB mopar

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-Don't worry about checking the flow of the airfilters by themselves.
-Flowtest one of the carburetors naked, with a velocity stack or something that makes the carb fow really good, call that number 100%, and then install the airfilter and see how bad it flows.
-Then chop the choke horn and radius the milled area to get rid of the sharp edges and flow the carb again going thru the entire process to see what happens.
----------------------------------------
-When you are flowtesting, the idea is to never allow anything that causes even the tiniest of flow restriction whatsoever.
---------------------------------------
-The carburetors are always some sort of choke to the engine, and the way you measure that is to install a vacuum gauge in the plenum under the carburetors but above the blower rotors, and then get a reading off that vacuum gauge at WOT and at some high rpm.
-If there is 1.5" of vacuum say at 6500 WOT, then the carbs should be flowing almost exactly what they are rated at.
-If you see something like 8" of vacuum then the restriction is terrible bad.
-Then if you remove the airfilters do another test and the vacuum drops anything, that means the filters are causing that restriction.
--------------------------------------------------
-At Bonneville, if you want to camp out, there is an area at the "bend in the road" where a lot of people hang out.
-There is NO ONE allowed on the salt flats after dark except for the security people.
-If you need to work on your vehicle overnight, you have to load it up and take it somewhere else.
---------------------------------------------
-Personally I feel that if you switch to alcohol with the carburetors you will be in for a world of grief.
-----------------------------------------------
-There is about 8 to 12% more airflow that can be gotten thru the carburetors by installing button head screws and some tidy machining of the throttle shafts & eliminating the screw ends, and fluffing & buffing of the throttle bores.
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

blower cam

Post by blownzoom440 »

i have been trying to learn as i go all along being the first blower motor i have done.my motor is o ringedand a copper gasket incase you wondered.i will have apd do the flow test and horn mill,pollish,adjust the airbleeds.there is a vacuum port on the carb plate and i will be sure to use my guage.i figured only putting out 700hp with 8lbs and 1700cfm the vacuum would be about 0 in with no restriction.i will findout though. with the alky it was that,intercooling or water injection to pickup power.the easiest way would be intercooling with a dedicated system through a coolcan with ice in it for the intercooler.thanks for the carberator tips and the camping!
"69"satellite,3900lbs,8-71,edel victor heads,I/C,446cu.in W/gas 1250 carbs
Torquemonster

Post by Torquemonster »

I don't mean to start anything, but that cam is big enough to run 10.9 without the blower on a good combo - easily.

Whilst a higher cylinder pressure cam (smaller duration but faster ramp) will help one has to wonder whether there are not a host of other things there stopping it from running at its potential.

The air filters may well be part of that.

A boosted engine can make very good power even on high overlap cams - if everything else is matched.

Unless your compression is blueprinted - my guess is your compression is WAY below what the 9:1 the pistons indicate. Mopar is bad for that - an advertised 8.5:1 is often 7.5 when checked.

110lb cylinder pressure may be half the reason the engine is just sluggish. Changing the installed LSA might help - but I doubt it will be enough.... at least it is only time to find out.
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

blower cam

Post by blownzoom440 »

the cam should do better with cranking compression like 120-130lbs but like you said advancing it would not compleetly solve the problem['s]the piston is .060 in the hole with a 95cc iron head chamber[pollished]so 8.5/9to1 iether way.i mached everything to BDS specs for my combo and had seen the same combo at the track go 10.30 in a 3650lb car with a 6-71.i am just doing my best to figure it out.i am usind wiseco pistons K373A3 blower pistons.i am not sure of the compression height.i got higher compression to make up for the larg combustion chamber. .040 copper gasket.i called wiseco, the pistons ore 2.060 compression height for a 95cc chamber .060 in the hole .040 gasket it is 8.8 cr. my motor is .050 taller than it should be.i got the same result with trw 6 pak piston 10.25/1 was .060 down.
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

bonniville bikes,bill owens

Post by blownzoom440 »

-Sorry, haven't heard your brothers name before.
-I did meet Jim Owens once and he finally got up into into the 240's on his street bike.
THEMOTORHEAD said ther is only 6 bikes that have gone 240mph on a street bike but did not recagnize the name.he may have been distrackted because he was at his wifes grandmothers funeral. :(
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-Jim Owens' team name is "Bad for Good Racing" has a record listed right below Dennis' in the 2004 rule book, rides the other brand (Kawasaki) at 213 set in 2003
-I'd have to chase down the 2004 results but I thought that he got to around 240 something.
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

mopar cam,bonniville

Post by blownzoom440 »

thanks for chassing that down about mr owens.was that on the scta site?
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-Ok-I talked to a friend who knows all about Jim Owens and his bike, and the fastest Jim has gone is 215 & change, on his normally aspirated street bike with help from the nitrous.
-So I was wrong in thinking that Jim had gone 240 something, my mistake.
-Joe Amo has also gone 240 if I remember right and I don't know who the fourth guy is.
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

blower cam bonniville

Post by blownzoom440 »

hank booth went 248 i think.he hangs at hayabusa.org with themotorhead.hank booth posts on the site as HANK.he is from montana.he owns a fire extinguisher company.hanks fire systems i think. http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/phpbb/vie ... 8ad0418d0c i don't know if the moderator is gunna get mad for not keeping on the toppic as the rules state.if ya want i can start a new toppic.