GLIDDEN CYL.HEADS

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BRENT FAY

GLIDDEN CYL.HEADS

Post by BRENT FAY »

I had read a comment I beleave it was Bill Jones in a post about wleding cylinder heads and made mention that there was gold in the ports of Bob Gliddens cyl. heads. (meaning braze) It made me remember when a customer in the early 80s brought in a set of cleveland 4v heads he had got from Glidden from his pro stocker. (he was a friend of Bob and when his daughter was of age dated Billy) He wanted them freshened up. The exhaust side of the heads had been cut off and a about 11/2" plate attached to the side and level with valve cover rail. the ex ports came up thru the plate at same angle as the valve to almost to the top of plate. Pretty racey at that time..... but what got my curiosity was what was in the intake port. No braze and the ports were BIG!!!! Now here comes the question for you cyl. head gurus that could maybe answer for me. On the port floor about 3/4" in from int. face/gasket was a half of a sphere approx. 1/2 in diameter bolted in place from underneath port. Was he trying to get the SSR to be more effective or flow around the 11/32 valve stem or creating tumble? At the time I had no access to a flow bench. But it has always made me wonder what it was about or was it a ploy or did maybe something else use to be in there. Darin maybe the RM crew might have seen this during tear down at the track back then? Brent :?:
Torquemonster

Post by Torquemonster »

INtersting!!

Glidden set world records that stood for over 10 years mainly because he bought up all the stock of those special Shogun 429 heads he used and nobody else could get them.... he probably learned something from those heads... I forget now who prepared those heads but it was certainly NOT Glidden.

Have you ever looked into a set of Ballenger header collectors and seen that object stuck right in the middle forcing all the gas around the outside? It works very well in many applications - so there is no reason in theory the same principle could not work on the intake side... especially on large ports - it would greatly increase velocity and, if shaped right - swirl.

Laugh - but on poor velocity very large ports - I'd expect that even port sized "tornado" swirl devices in each port would make a huge difference without reducing peak flow much - if at all. Funny I know - but it is a much easier fix to a problem than spending 200 hours trying to get the best port shape from filling in the ports at strategic places, the repeating it.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I had heard that Larry Widmar (theoldone.com) was THE reason for Gliddens big Ford head success.

Post by Guest »

The bump in the floor of the port is a form of vortex generator it will increase the flow of a port with a poor short side shape i have never seen an advantage in flow when trying to make vortex generators in a proper port desighn with a much straighter aproach to the valve .im not sure if theres any advantages to fuel seperation .
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

might be interested in these Flow Numbers from
Glidden's small block Chrysler ProStocker

i can't remember the exact year(s)
he raced the Chrysler small block, i think it was only 1 to 2 years ???

anyway, these are ancient Flow Numbers from his Chrysler SBC heads

these were cast-iron Heads, very highly-modified, heavily brazed,
with Brass tubes brazed into pushrod holes, along with both
brazing and epoxy on the Floor area.

the Shaft-mounted roller rockers looked liked a Factory piece (not Aluminum)..highly offset intake rockers , all polished + deburred,
way more offest than any other rocker system offered or seen in any Chrysler literature.

same with Heads, they had Chrysler casting numbers on Heads,
but these casting numbers could not be found in any Chrysler Book
or Direct Connection Book i had

the Heads were NOT W-2 castings (not same casting numbers), although the exhaust ports were D-Shaped at the exit , i saw no signs of brazing in exhaust ports, i had W-2 castings at the same time side by side to compare, and the Exhaust ports were basically the same shape but overall much higher located on the casting without signs of welding to accomplish that .

Flow Tested at 28" Inches on a 4.000" Bore Fixture with SF-600 FlowBench
a short Pipe with radius lip used on exhaust side

2.150 Intake Valve OD / 1.600 Exhaust (Tulip) Valve OD 11/32 Titanium
Valve---Intake---Exhaust---E/I
Lift------Flow-----Flow-------Ratio
.200----127.9---119.6------93.5
.300----190.6---163.4------85.7
.400----240.3---200.0------83.2
.450----264.5--------------------
.500----282.0---228.8------81.1
.550----296.7--------------------
.600----303.4---240.8------77.8
.650----312.3--------------------
.700----327.3---244.0------74.6
.750----334.4--------------------

Intake Port entry size =
Width= 1.500" to 1.510" widest measured
Height= 2.250" to 2.275" highest measured

a customer of mine purchased the entire Engine from Glidden,
minus the Roller Cam, oil pan, and Carbs were not sold.
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com

Post by Guest »

Bob was smooth 8) :D .Do you know if the valve angles were changed? Was the combustion chamber diff? Thanx meaux.
SBC

W not 2?

Post by SBC »

off topic----- I found an article on Mr. Glidden's Arrow from Sep 79 Popular Hot Rodding containg " You can take pictures of anything in the shop except certain cylinder heads and intake manifolds". Maybe the not W2 heads?

Included was an intake port mold and intake bowl/ combustion chamber pic.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

Do you know if the valve angles were changed? Was the combustion chamber diff?
the valve seat angles were just the normal 45 degree on both valves
from what i remember the Chamber wasn't that much different in Shape

i measured a bunch of stuff on that Engine and Heads
wrote down the Chamber CC's , Dome Volume, CR , etc.
but i must have accidently gave that Sheet to the Customer
along with a copy of the FlowTest.

all i have left is a Flow Sheet with also a few specs wrote down .
I found an article on Mr. Glidden's Arrow from Sep 79 Popular Hot Rodding
i was going to guess 1978-1979 as the years Glidden ran the Chrysler
but too far back to be positive about the years :)

still have the Holley Pro Dominator Tunnel Ram Intake in my Shop
the customer forgot the Intake and never called back for it
maybe we could compare the Photos in your magazine -VS- the Intake i have ??

the Intake's been heavily milled on Intake port sides,
looks like about .200+" off each side ??

maybe Glidden was decking the Block a lot to get a better Rod Ratio
at that time ?? with the Ports at 1.500 W x 2.275 H , the measured
Pitot Probe velocities were on the slow side ...
around 234.1 FPS at .750" Lift in very center of pushrod area
about 12.5 Inches of Pitot Pressure when Flow Tested at 28" Inches
calculates to 332.9 CFM at .750" Lift ,
pretty close to actual measured CFM = 334.4
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
joe

Post by joe »

in 78 he won everything on the calender with a ford fairmont , cleveland powered .
I can't remember what years he ran the arrow .
That dimple on the port floor was to help make better use of the port area , that's a generic answer but the only one I have ! It will increase the area of the floor going over the hump .
Other cleveland pro stockers ran blades in the intake ports which split the width of the ports , also to make better use of port area . A 4v cleveland will flow high and too the left thru the stock port due too valve inclination the broad radius on the side wall beginning after the pushrod tube , etc.
The blades would drop a tenth off the 1/4 times typically , they were made of sheetmetal , some resembled shark fins . they had to be positioned just so.
Sometimes the floors were filled sometimes not.