Air pressure @ 100 mph?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

racer189
Air pressure @ 100 mph?

Post by racer189 »

Has anyone done any testing or know if a an engine will see an increase in air pressure at the carb with a drag style scoop mounted on it at 100 -105 mph in an open engine cockpit (marine race application)? We are considering trying a dragster style scoop instead of our normal K&N oval air cleaner - twin carb set up. I contacted Harwood and they hadn't done any testing at all, so they had no data to help me. As well, they weren't much help in helping to determine which scoop design would work best for our application.

The engine is a max effort 366 SBC with about 750 hp, twin carb, sheet metal intake.

We were just wondering if anyone had any info to help us decide before we needlessly spend $500-700 on a scoop, only to find out that there is no difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Any reasonably well designed scoop will convert 100% of the air's kinetic energy into a pressure which increases as the square of the speed. At 100 MPH, this would be 0.176 psi, or ~ 1.2%, thus ~9 HP on a 750 HP engine. e.g., because of the squared factor, it would be 0.7 psi/4.8%/36 HP at 200 MPH.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

there are some formulas to determine the scoop hole size but I've misplaced them. the lower the speed the larger the hole. at 200 MPH it's amazing how small the hole has to be to achieve the best air flow vs aero drag. I'll see if I can find it.

I didn't find the page I was looking for but this is in the right direction, I'll look again soon .. http://www.racecarbook.com/articles/airscoopsize.shtml
Last edited by F1Fever on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
racer189
Post by racer189 »

Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

MadBill wrote:Any reasonably well designed scoop will convert 100% of the air's kinetic energy into a pressure which increases as the square of the speed. At 100 MPH, this would be 0.176 psi, or ~ 1.2%, thus ~9 HP on a 750 HP engine. e.g., because of the squared factor, it would be 0.7 psi/4.8%/36 HP at 200 MPH.
How does air density factor in? If you are running at 5280 feet is the PSI lower but the percentage increase stay the same?
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

Bucky1

Post by Bucky1 »

I have a friend who did some testing on his dragster a number of years ago. He tried several different shapes of scoops, with no real progress. Finally, out of frustration and humor, he turned the scoop he was using around backwards and made a pass. Didn't make any difference. :roll: Just about anyhing you get from extra ram effect is lossed by air resistance slowing the car down.
tommurphy73

Post by tommurphy73 »

A better idea might be to try to measure pressure at different places around the boat. There are probably areas that are at higher or lower pressure because of the aerodynamic design of the hull and engine covers then put the air intake at the highest pressure point.

Regards
Tom
Eric68
Expert
Expert
Post by Eric68 »

I think the key is to try pulling air from a place that is already high pressure so you do not create additional drag on the car. For example, a cowl induction.

I played with a ram air setup on my Camaro that had two 4" tubes that got air from two holes on either side of the radiator. It added about 1 MPH to my trap speeds, but I later abandoned the setup because it was a pain to get at the carb for tuning and was tough to route the tubes around accessories.

FWIW
E85 racer and E85 carb builder
www.horsepowerinnovations.com

68 Camaro 427" E85 powered small block, 9.95 @ 133 mph best motor ET through the mufflers. 1.319 best sixty foot.
Cfin
Pro
Pro

Post by Cfin »

I don't think I have seen a scoop used in marathon racing? I would think the risk of it injesting water would probably out-weigh any gains you may get, especially around 100mph??
Pete

Post by Pete »

I was thinking the same thing.

In a marine application keeping the intake clear of water would be my first design priority and whatever gains could be made from the intake design adding power is a bonus.

Cheers , Pete.
racer189
Post by racer189 »

Cfin wrote:I don't think I have seen a scoop used in marathon racing? I would think the risk of it injesting water would probably out-weigh any gains you may get, especially around 100mph??
Injesting water is a concern and when we run head to head with other boats, we run a regular K&N filter with a shield. However, some of our competitors run a scoop when they are making a solo timed run, and of course it's difficult to determine if it's giving them any improvement in performance.
blackbeered

Re: Air pressure @ 100 mph?

Post by blackbeered »

Seems to me the size of the air scoop would come into play, no?

A 4" x 10" rectangle would grab 2,444 cfm while a 2" x 10" half that. And the carb would see the difference, no?
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert
Re:

Post by JC565Ford »

Bucky1 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:30 am I have a friend who did some testing on his dragster a number of years ago. He tried several different shapes of scoops, with no real progress. Finally, out of frustration and humor, he turned the scoop he was using around backwards and made a pass. Didn't make any difference. :roll: Just about anyhing you get from extra ram effect is lossed by air resistance slowing the car down.
20 years ago F1 cars had a slit at the back of their scoops to allow air to pass thru to reduce the drag. If I recall correctly the cars (at 800 hp back then) got about a 20 hp boost at 300km - 186 mph = 2.5%
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Air pressure @ 100 mph?

Post by MadBill »

blackbeered wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 am Seems to me the size of the air scoop would come into play, no?

A 4" x 10" rectangle would grab 2,444 cfm while a 2" x 10" half that. And the carb would see the difference, no?
No. Apart from being so small that it chokes down the flow, the size of the scoop doesn't matter, only the speed and air density.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.