reconditioned carbide burrs.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ron E
Guru
Guru

reconditioned carbide burrs.

Post by Ron E »

I searched. I'm wondering about opinions on resharpened burrs. Do they work/last anywhere near a new one?
(mostly 1/2"D. ovals, various flute-counts)
Overall good and bad impressions?

If the experiences have been good, who do you recommend? $, Turn around time, etc....
Thanks.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I went thru a period of my life where I was having my burrs resharpened---had'm redone by whoever resharpens CHA, Beaver Tool & File, Circofile and several other places I have forgotten about.

-I have NEVER gotten a resharpened burr that was anywhere close to the quality of new burrs that came from Bo laws or CHA or Beaver Tool & File----NEVER got a resharpened burr that had the nice super polished flute edges or the slight relief right behind the full length of the cutter tooth edges like you get on the burrs from Bo Laws.

-I have dealt with maybe 6 other places besides these I have mentioned here and the absolute best burrs have come from Bo Laws, the best cataloged choices are Mondello, and the best prices have came from Circofile with 13, 25 or 50 quantity purchases where you can get burrs made to whatever you want.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
-I never cared for the shipping back & forth to the burr supplier---and then having to wait while the burrs got shipped away from them to the regrinders and then the shipping trips to get the burrs back to the supplier and finally back to me----seems like it was always 3 weeks at a minimum and then having to deal with UPS charges doing the shipping.

-After having been around the block on this subject several times I personally just go for the lowest initial cost were I buy the burrs in quantity from Circofile---use'm up and throw'm away----or at least if I decide to send'm back for resharp I have a large enough quantity to make the resharpening worth while.
cboggs
Guru
Guru

Post by cboggs »

I'm with Bill, ..

I just buy new and throw them away when done, . .

http://www.carbideselect.com/StandardBu ... 35cccdc2d8

now the carbide on the CnC machine, .. those are expensive, .. and
I haven't tried a re-sharpened one yet, ..

Curtis
Race Flow Development
Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com
tmoss

Post by tmoss »

I buy new also - I have had good service fgrom the burs I get here

www.carbidebur.com
Tom Moss
www.fastlanecars.com
RL
Guru
Guru

Post by RL »

Got some resharpened, they cut better than before but lasted about 10 min and was not as good as a new one
deucehibo

Re: reconditioned carbide burrs.

Post by deucehibo »

Waste of time and money...had a few done problem was the flutes where very fragile after re sharpen easily broken..
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Ron E wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:27 am I searched. I'm wondering about opinions on resharpened burrs. Do they work/last anywhere near a new one?
(mostly 1/2"D. ovals, various flute-counts)
Overall good and bad impressions?

If the experiences have been good, who do you recommend? $, Turn around time, etc....
Thanks.
My re-sharpened aluminum burrs work just fine, if you don't mind them being slightly smaller.

I get mine done locally.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

I resharpen myself with a dremel, 1" diamond cutoff blade & my reading glasses.
I'll get 3-4 sharpens out of open flute aggressive iron cut burrs before they're junk.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

KnightEngines wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:31 am I resharpen myself with a dremel, 1" diamond cutoff blade & my reading glasses.
I'll get 3-4 sharpens out of open flute aggressive iron cut burrs before they're junk.
Well I finally found out whats wrong with me, can I borrow your reading glasses and Dremel and cutoff blade
reed
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Something a found works pretty well is the CRC graphite spray, comes in a green can. Tried it out last year and helped a lot.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

1980RS wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:34 am Something a found works pretty well is the CRC graphite spray, comes in a green can. Tried it out last year and helped a lot.
That graphite spray does work good. Not sure if its safe but it does work good. Im kind of paranoid of breathing anything that gets turned into smoke like that though.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

CGT wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:05 pm
1980RS wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:34 am Something a found works pretty well is the CRC graphite spray, comes in a green can. Tried it out last year and helped a lot.
That graphite spray does work good. Not sure if its safe but it does work good. Im kind of paranoid of breathing anything that gets turned into smoke like that though.

When I use the stuff I just spray it on the burr, let it dry for a few hours and then go grinding. Never had any smoke when I was using the stuff as all.