How do you slow down the SSR??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bos's5.0
Pro
Pro

How do you slow down the SSR??

Post by Bos's5.0 »

The SSR on my 5.0 E7 heads is just insanely fast. I have an Edelbrock port that has maybe half the speed of my E7, but it is hogged out (not by me) and doesn't flow very well IMO.

Both heads have issues where the air actually chokes and slows down.. the Edelbrock head died at .450 lift and the E7 anywhere from .380 to .450 depending on what I've done to the port. What the heck is really causing these issues?
SWB
Pro
Pro

Post by SWB »

Bigger cross sectional areas slow the mixture.

So,

Widen short side turn/port.

Raise the roof in the relevent areas.

Make the short side turn as long as possible and long side as short as possible.

That's as much as I can help here.

SWB
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

After working on a set of sbc heads to reduce the short turn velocity and prevent flow loss at higher lifts/pressures I had laid the short turn back quite a bit. This helped both of these problems.

I then tested a small amount of epoxy in the bowl roof past the valve guide attempting to keep my avg CSA small. When I tested the port with the epoxy in the bowl roof, the flow was about the same but the short turn velocity had increased over 50FPS. I was very surprised how much effect that area has on the short turn velocity. The CSA all the way over the turn into the bowl is what counts. Those pitot tube velocity probes were an eye opener for me.

Rick