Has anybody ported on the composite manifolds?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bill jones
Guru
Guru

Has anybody ported on the composite manifolds?

Post by bill jones »

-A guy with a new Corvette composite intake wants me to match it up to a set of ported Z06 heads.
-I wondering if there is any good or bad stories or ideas that you guys have experienced that might be of interest.
-I've never done one and was wondering if carbide burrs work? need something special for cutting tools? something special for sanding rolls etc?
-And what about cleaning the manifold? anything to watch out for there?
-Can normal epoxies be used if there ends up with thin areas or have to cut clear thru the wall?
LilRacr

Post by LilRacr »

I have worked with some of the plastic upper intake plenums used on the newer 3800 GM V-6's.

I used standard alum burrs for quick material removal. It worked just fine, I used a normal double cut burr to smooth and make it look purdy.

Not sure if it's the same material, but I had no problems cutting that material.

I cleaned it in the parts washer without any problems, although it was not all that nasty.
-Bobby-
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

Bill,
High Helix burrs work best...but IMHO their is nothing to be gained in the port exist of the factory manifold. Get him to purchase an LS-6 manifold and be done with it. Also, I primarly use mineral spirits for cleanup and have no problems with the LSX parts.

Dennis
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

off topic bill...I was told that you make some pretty trick flowbench bore adapters out of acrylic? Is this still the case?

Dennis
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

Bill,
High Helix burrs work best...but IMHO their is nothing to be gained in the port exist of the factory manifold. Get him to purchase an LS-6 manifold and be done with it.
Bill be careful working or raduising the "Entry" of the composite runner
inside the plenum. sometimes just radiusing or smoothing the Floor on that entry can cause Shearing.

measure the overall total Roof distance from composite intake runner entry to valve seat in Cyl Head ...then measure the total Floor distance ..if there is too much of a difference you'll get shearing effect in live running engine.

sometimes its better to leave Floor's edge in LS-6 -1 composite intake runner entry sharp and jagged as it fools Intake into thinking Floor is slightly longer than it is, and reduces what i call a shearing effect.
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I have everything necessary to do most bore sizes up to 4.625" and down to 3.75" and maybe even as small as 3.5".
-I have a jig to make it fairly easy to glue the 5 basic pieces together with is about $200.
-Then you have all the bolt patterns, milling the surfaces, boring the bores to certain sizes, flanged dowel screws, bore reducing sleeves etc.
-About the most you'd spend is $500 depending on all the extras.
----------------------------------------------
-If you have something in mind you can e-mail me from this forum.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I'm supposed to get the stock heads, the ported heads and the stock manifold next week.
-I may need to get tooled up so I can flowtest the heads then I'll look at both heads, see what he got with the ported heads, and what the manifold to head mismatch is.
-This is a daily driver toy that seldom ever gets run WOT, mostly just a "look at me in my shiney new Corvette" deal.
-----------------------------------
-Thanks for the comments.