dart little chief vs. sb 2.2

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

flyin ryan
Pro
Pro

Post by flyin ryan »

i'm doing a s.b. chev. for a guy running SS/AS (394cube). he dropped off a set of heads that Slawko did. these heads have never been run but i'm not sure if these heads are the most current generation or they have sat for a while. what is obvious is the amount of work that has been spent on them :oops: :shock: . when i started getting my head around this set, casting #GM 10185040 & the bow-tie beside the casting # is stamped 517, the bell's in my head started ringing. i grabbed one of my little chief's to double check. sure enough the GM 517 head's that Slawko did is identical in valve angle & cant as my little chief's. coincidence? a lot of work went in to the GM casting's to call it a fluke i'd say. just my observation's. also from personal experiance the GM casting's drain back oil & the little chief's don't. i had to put in a -6 line at the back of the heads to the pan. mine is a wet-sump deal.
There are no limit's to mans' ingenuity, just as mans' ingenuity will never conquer the forces & behavior of this planet....Smokey Y.
Ricky Mcconathy

Post by Ricky Mcconathy »

racer189,
I haven't finished the little chiefs yet, but that motor is nearing the top of the priority list. If things go right, I should begin working on them again in the next couple of weeks. I haven't heard anything about the long awaited newly designed gm castings. One day hopefully; it would benefit everyone involved.

Ryan,
excluding pro stock heads, the gm splayed valve head has probably had more modifications performed on it than any other head casting. Unfortunately, they don't make comp eliminator caliber power without lots of modifications. The gm castings will still benefit from the oil drainbacks though :wink:

BTW, you close to being finished with your little chief motor?
Ricky McConathy
Naiser Racing Engines
713-688-8383
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

Here ya go, it's a bad mutha F'R. Turn up the volume!! :shock:

Jenkins and Perkins little small block.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a6ff ... 09ca6b.htm
flyin ryan
Pro
Pro

Post by flyin ryan »

sorry Ricky, are you asking me about my little one or someone else? too many guys chiming in on this one & i don't want to steal anyone's thread. but mine is done in it's first incarnation. i only ran it a couple times after the dyno session's. third time out it stood on the back bumper :roll:, non tubbed, no trans brake, pump gas. tweaked the pan pretty good so in the middle of Sept. that was it for me for the year.
i heard from Bill M. (can't spell his last name) three time comp champ, that those new castings are supposed to still be in the work's. we'll see.
There are no limit's to mans' ingenuity, just as mans' ingenuity will never conquer the forces & behavior of this planet....Smokey Y.
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

Here ya go, it's a bad mutha F'R. Turn up the volume!!

Jenkins and Perkins little small block.
Whats the details on that car?
shawn
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 67 Nova »

Shawn, seen your looking for Perkins info, here:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showt ... ht=perkins

Also, do a search on that site for PERKINS.

Not much, but it helps, John
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

I did some looking around and found some stuff,too. Thanks for the link. Brings back old PS truck memories.....................
shawn
Robert Kane
Pro
Pro
Post by Robert Kane »

shawn wrote:

I did some looking around and found some stuff,too. Thanks for the link. Brings back old PS truck memories.....................
shawn
As I recall it, Larry was working with his own guys doing engines using Slawko for the heads. I don't think he was using Jenkins stuff when he was in PST.
Larry's best was somewhere in the low 7.50's around 177 if my memory serves correct. Div 1 was a hotbed for the trucks at that time.
Robert
COMP461

Re: dart little chief vs. sb 2.2

Post by COMP461 »

I know this is an old thread but I have a question. I can get a new Dart Iron eagle block with Jesel keyed lifter bore Bushings have been put in specifically for the little chief head. A UGL 55 mm UGL comes with it But plan on using a SB 2.2 head.
It is not necessary to build a swimming pool to determine that a bowling ball won't float." .....Zora Arkus-Duntov www.facebook.com/COMP461
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

COMP461 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:02 pm I know this is an old thread but I have a question. I can get a new Dart Iron eagle block with Jesel keyed lifter bore Bushings have been put in specifically for the little chief head. A UGL 55 mm UGL comes with it But plan on using a SB 2.2 head.
Where is the question?
Are you wondering if the lifter pattern will work? No, you will have to plug and move them. Why not use a little chief head?
COMP461

Post by COMP461 »

Have a complete top in including several sheet-metal intakes for SB two heads. There was a block available with all the work already done to it for a really good price

It’s crazy when you see a set of LS seven heads all outflow these SB2.2heads
It is not necessary to build a swimming pool to determine that a bowling ball won't float." .....Zora Arkus-Duntov www.facebook.com/COMP461