Removing common wall between intake runners

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redc4
Removing common wall between intake runners

Post by redc4 »

I have read in the past about removing a portion of the common wall between intake ports on heads like a small block chevy, etc. From what I gather, the main advantage is to gain cross section area. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to doing this on a head with limited cross section area?
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I want to hear the answers to this one myself.
LilRacr

Post by LilRacr »

I am also very curious about this one.

I am a novice compared to most of you guys, but I would like to think futher into this about making the runners of the head one also, and splitting the ports at the bolt of the SBC?

The pushrod restriction would definatly be removed! :lol:
-Bobby-

Post by Guest »

Not sure if this helps but anyway, the early Australian Holden straight six head shared the same intake runner in pairs, the later model straight six head didn't, the early straight six head actually flowed better with all the usual porting techniques

with the early head it had a pillar at the intake entrance which the head bolt was located, after the pillar it opened into a common area for both intake valves to share, modification technique involved cutting this pillar away & installing a sleeve for the bolt to run through to increase flow

thought I would mention this because it seems to be a similar theory to the topic
redc4
Post by redc4 »

Timewarden, this is exactly the type of head I am looking at. It is off a chevy inline 6.
redc4
Post by redc4 »

Timewarden, this is exactly the type of head I am looking at. It is off a chevy inline 6.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Long while back the practice used to be to remove the pillar on the chevy 6, spot face the floor and use a short stud or allen bolt and in some cases a flat head bolt (tapered). The original top bolt/head face was machined for a plug.

Dave Koehler
www.koehlerinjection.com
Grocerius Maximus
Pro
Pro
Post by Grocerius Maximus »

ChrisU
Pro
Pro
Post by ChrisU »

I must be misunderstanding the question. Are you talking about making the 2 ports 'one' for a particular length? Can you elaborate?
redc4
Post by redc4 »

Yes, for example, cutting out the common wall between 2 intake ports on a sbc head. At least up to the head bolt near the bowl area.

I got a look at a comp eliminator I6 head, and it is basically one runner for 2 valves. Looks interesting. But that head was pretty much designed that way from the factory. This head flowed pretty good on the intake side for the valve size. 317cfm for a 1.94 intake valve = 106cfm/sq in.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-are you trying to compare the intake runner of a 4 valve head where all of the air is going into the same cylinder----to a SBC head where there is two different cylinders that would be sharing the same port with the divider removed?
redc4
Post by redc4 »

Bill, I am comparing a sbc head to an Inline 6 chevy head, whereone large runner feeds 2 valves, with one of each going to a different cylinder.
hwp123
wall divider

Post by hwp123 »

I took a chevy 6 250 cid head over to friends shop to flow it on his 110 superflow. I had carefully ported it ,left the head bolt support in but slimmed it down. It had the original 1.72 intake and 1.5 exhaust valve with the original factory valve job with who knows how many miles on it.It just so happened that another friend of mine that had won a bunch of dirt track races showed up to flow one of his heads he had won some races with. It had 1.92 and 1.6 valves with the bowls just hogged out big time,the head bolt support cut out and a tapered allen bolt for a head bolt. It also had the latest secret trick of the year which was a center divider that extended from the back wall of the bowl to about half way to the intake manifold face tacked in place and as this was twenty years ago I dont remember the flow rate but it was not too good. We knocked the divider out cleaned it up and it flowed 80 percent on what flow range i don't know. The friend that owned this head wanted to experiment so we started to add clay to the port trying to make a ski slope to the bottom floor starting from nothing and building up to maybe a half an inch higher at the short side radius and blending in with the ssr. As we keep experminting with this we got the flow up to 100 percent of that scale. Then we flowed my head and we were surprised but it flowed 79 percent of this same scale even with the much smaller valves.(Intake) The flowbench owner said that it was evident that I had spent a lot of time on the porting . I hope this helps.