Olds guys..350 Olds Galley Plugs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

e-tach
Expert
Expert
Olds guys..350 Olds Galley Plugs

Post by e-tach »

I have a 350 Olds W-31 engine in my shop right now for rebuilding. Anyone know where I can get the two front oil galley plugs for it? I am not sure what size they are, but I know they are not a standard pipe thread.

Dont ya love when somebody brings a motor to you in pieces? I see that alot. Lots of coffee cans full of bolts, etc!
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Silver Seal, or Mondello. Maybe Dave Smith.
sam-missle

Post by sam-missle »

pioneer has them also.
SAM-MISSLE
SOUTHERN AUTO MACHINE
931-728-7800
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Re: Olds guys..

Post by machine shop tom »

e-tach wrote:I have a 350 Olds W-31 engine in my shop right now for rebuilding. Anyone know where I can get the two front oil galley plugs for it? I am not sure what size they are, but I know they are not a standard pipe thread.

Dont ya love when somebody brings a motor to you in pieces? I see that alot. Lots of coffee cans full of bolts, etc!
Yep. Then they expect YOU to chase down all odds and ends that they have lost or mis-placed. It's not so bad if they understand the fact that it takes time to deal with all the miscellaneous stuff, but some guys get pissy when they see the "misc." fees.............

tom
Pray for a secular future.

We used to speak to tell things , now they tell things to speak.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Post by Masher Manufacturing »

I'm not sure what size the plugs are, but be aware one front and one rear are drilled for oil spray. The front one is to lube the timing chain and the rear to lube the dist gear.

A couple of things I've found running a 307 Olds on a oval track.

HV oil pumps will wear the dist gear quickly. I put together a junkyard motor ( used crank, new bearings ) and had the dist gear start wearing at the 50 mile mark. ( motor runs in the 4800 to 5300 RPM range )

Some places sell cam bearing restrictors that tap in to the oil feed. If restriction is desired, just drill a new hole in the bearing at a new clock position for the same results.

The front main bearing oil hole and block drilling don't line up very well. I don't know if this is by design or a miss match. I take a burr and open up the bearing. ( If someone knows of another engine with a front bearing restricted for oil, please post )

Go here for a seemingly good casting # and general olds motor site.

http://tech.classicoldsmobile.com/

You can get a 2 piece rubber rear main seal for these motors despite what some will tell you. Fell Pro makes them but you have to dig in the catalog. ( the small blocks can use a Ford Y block seal, I think the big blocks use a Ford 427, 428, 428 460 or something in the range )
e-tach
Expert
Expert
Post by e-tach »

Thanks for the tech info, Masher!

I think I have the plug sizing figured out. One is sized 5/8x18, the other 11/16x16. Can anyone verify this?

I looked in my Pionner catalog at the shop, could not find a listing for the plugs under the engine or in the plug section. Maybe someone has a newer catalog?

If anyone has some P/N's let me know. I would rather not have to pay 9.00 for these plugs through Mondello.

Now, does anyone know which one is supposed to have the hole drilled in it?
380 Oldsmobile

Post by 380 Oldsmobile »

Those sizes sound right for thread sizes. The plug with the hole goes on the side by #1 cylinder. Do they have to be new? I might have some that I would give you. I hate to see anybody pay Mondello prices. Oh and don't hold that site posted above as gospel.
jimivice

Olds guys, 350 oil galley plugs

Post by jimivice »

The thread size is correct, but you won't be successfull with Pioneer. If someone has offered you the plugs - take 'em. They are particular to Oldsmobile and are rare, 400 & 455 Olds use the same plugs. If you do find them, it will be hard to mix them up, because of the different thread sizes. If you have to pay Mondello, whatever the cost, it far outweighs the headaches searching for them. The 5/8" x 18 can be easily replaced by an appropriate bolt with slight modifications. The 11/16" x 16 is a problem, it is not a common size. If you have no luck, drill and tap for the appropriate pipe plug. The drill size for the 5/8" is the same for a 3/8" taper pipe plug with the same thread pitch. You might be able to run a pipe tap through the hole, if not, drill for a 1/2" taper pipe. It might accomodate both holes because there isn't much of a variance in size.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Re: Olds guys..350 Olds Galley Plugs

Post by BillK »

Go over to the classic olds page and ask in the engine forum. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/ I have at least one set at the shop I could measure if you need.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

BillK wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:29 am Go over to the classic olds page and ask in the engine forum. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/ I have at least one set at the shop I could measure if you need.
Morning Bill,

This post is from 2008

Tom,
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

leahymtsps wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:58 am
BillK wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:29 am Go over to the classic olds page and ask in the engine forum. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/ I have at least one set at the shop I could measure if you need.
Morning Bill,

This post is from 2008

Tom,
Doh !!!!!
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com