Camshaft lobe design

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Penske had some made, back when he was running Fords, and they worked well.
The problem I've had is getting chilled iron lifters made.
A few years ago, I talked to a company in England about making some, but I think the minimum order was something like 25,000 lifters.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
learner1
Re: Camshaft lobe design

Post by learner1 »

Mike,
I'm not measuring it, I'm calculating it, every 1/4 degree of piston movement. When I design a profile for an application, I input Bore, Stroke, Rod Length, Comp Ratio, Valve size, Choke diameter, Desired max HP RPM, and a few other things.
You're using engine/port measurements to calculate the average port velocity. Then you are creating a lift curve to maintain, as best as possible, the average port velocity through out the lift curve. Am i close on this?
digger
Guru
Guru
Re: Camshaft lobe design

Post by digger »

learner1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:27 pm Mike,
I'm not measuring it, I'm calculating it, every 1/4 degree of piston movement. When I design a profile for an application, I input Bore, Stroke, Rod Length, Comp Ratio, Valve size, Choke diameter, Desired max HP RPM, and a few other things.
You're using engine/port measurements to calculate the average port velocity. Then you are creating a lift curve to maintain, as best as possible, the average port velocity through out the lift curve. Am i close on this?
I wondered if he was talking about velocity in the curtain / valve aperture rather than port itself. Then there would be a transition from where the limiting area changed to the throat csa