BME Aluminium Rods cycle life circa 1981?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

la360
Expert
Expert

BME Aluminium Rods cycle life circa 1981?

Post by la360 »

How many passes were you guys getting with these rods back in the early 80's?
AL...
Ron C.
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron C. »

In a 394" SBC that saw a lot of 9100-9200 rpm pass's they saw about 15 pulls on the dyno and about 175 track pass's......which was exactly... one pass to many. The old story....had new set sitting in shop but laziness and greed said......awww one more race! There a tuff rod......but today, I like MGP's better.
Creekside Racing Ministry
John 14:6
Ron Clevenger
CSU Gas Dominator ProCharger nonintercooled
Top Eliminator West http://www.topeliminatorwest.net
Steve Morris http://www.stevemorrisengines.com
6.49@219mph (still tunning)
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

I worked at both MGP and GRP con rods. You can put 500+ runs with no problem, in a normal bracket, super class engine. I usually put dyno plus 75 on a set of comp rods. At both places I never seen a rod failure. I seen failure due to vacuum and other issues, but never just fatigue. I have a friend who runs a BED and he a had a rod break at the finish line, due to vacuum, and he finished the run! He didn't even know it broke. The rod is degined to "part" in the middle. In fact, it hurt nothing other than the piston and pin. The crank was fine, needed turned, no hole in the pan or block!. Ask Brad or Darrin how may dyno pulls and runs a Pro Stocker goes. I think you'd be shocked.

Chad
Scott Smith
Pro
Pro

Post by Scott Smith »

The crank was fine, needed turned, no hole in the pan or block!. Ask Brad or Darrin how may dyno pulls and runs a Pro Stocker goes. I think you'd be shocked.
I had heard most Pro Stock engines were going to 5/16 rod bolts. Is this what you are seeing?
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Just as I was geting out, the Honda and Aurora bearing sizes were becoming popular. But as I recall they were still useing 3/8 bolts. In fact when I worked at MGP, I got to keep a couple of REAL important rods. I have a Maskin first 200 mph rod and a KJ first 6 second rod. Kind of a cool conversation piece!

Chad
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

What kind of Aluminium are companies like MGP, GRP etc using these days? I don't imagine it just being 7075 Plate or anything like that. I recall reading somewhere that BME use a special grade of aluminium they developed with Alcoa, are the billet style rods the same stuff?
AL...
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

What kind of Aluminium are companies like MGP, GRP etc using these days

Honestly it was a big secret. BUT, it was a material devolped by Martin Marreta?. Basically your correct, nothing more than x-rayed billet. Trust me, I unloaded a ton of it. Came from the same place, both companies.
agertz1
Re: BME Aluminium Rods cycle life circa 1981?

Post by agertz1 »

Is it ok to say " aluminum metal matrix", without Men In Black showing up ? 30% silicon carbide particulate. Less thermal growth than steel,
better wear than cast iron. Forged in "Area 51", get back ! 8)
stealth
Guru
Guru
Re:

Post by stealth »

user-9274568 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:48 pm I worked at both MGP and GRP con rods. You can put 500+ runs with no problem, in a normal bracket, super class engine. I usually put dyno plus 75 on a set of comp rods. At both places I never seen a rod failure. I seen failure due to vacuum and other issues, but never just fatigue. I have a friend who runs a BED and he a had a rod break at the finish line, due to vacuum, and he finished the run! He didn't even know it broke. The rod is degined to "part" in the middle. In fact, it hurt nothing other than the piston and pin. The crank was fine, needed turned, no hole in the pan or block!. Ask Brad or Darrin how may dyno pulls and runs a Pro Stocker goes. I think you'd be shocked.

Chad
Great info.. can you tell us more about the vacuum failed part? Its interesting to hear about the lifespan of the aluminum rods that we are told break all the time due to fatigue. Hope you can explain in more detail.

Thanks!
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

The fact that this post is almost 20 years old now, you may not get a response. Chad Speier isn't a member on here either, which may not help you at all.
Alan Jones

It's Ok to disagree, just don't be disagreeable!
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

la360 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:54 am The fact that this post is almost 20 years old now, you may not get a response. Chad Speier isn't a member on here either, which may not help you at all.
Actually,Chad is on here.
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

Good to know, must be using a different account to what he used in this post all that time ago. I haven't really been on here in years
Alan Jones

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

So if anybody is interested here is my story on BME aluminum rods. I bought a used 440 stroker short block at a swap meet in the 90's it had a cracked number 2 main cap, reason guy was selling, engine actually looked good other wise. It had 4.150 crank and BME aluminum rods. I got anew block built it and ran it 4 seasons probably put 300 runs on it, not sure how many runs from previous owner. Sold that short block at swap meet, as I was afraid of the rods. Guy I sold it to put it in a dragster, ran it for a few years and then sold it, I never heard if it blew up, but it had to have close to 1,000 runs on those rods. I used BME rods in the replacement engine and ran it for five years about 400 runs, low on money so I freshened and bang it broke a rod. I wonder out loud if the process of torquing the rods has more to do with longevity than the actual runs sometimes? I also had an oldtimer tell me that storing your car in climate controlled garage helps with aluminum rod life. That first engine was stored in a climate controlled garage, the second was in the race car trailer behind the shop. I have steel rod engine now runs just as good as the aluminum rods.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

la360 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:54 am The fact that this post is almost 20 years old now, you may not get a response. Chad Speier isn't a member on here either, which may not help you at all.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=17359
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

The rods I originally made this post about I individually sold off and didn't use. Two of them had rod bolts that didn't screw in cleanly, so I figured the they weren't worth risking. They were 6.625" long in a LA series Chrysler Small Block. The builder obviously put a lot of weight in to rod ratio, as the engine had a ratio of 1.84

The pistons were nice enough looking Venolia with paper thin wrist pins. Would certainly do things different now I am sure.
Alan Jones