Anyone test and compared a single plane vs tunnel ram w(1x4)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mallow415

Post by mallow415 »

I was wondering has anyone tried using a BG Badman carb on a tunnel ram or a sheetmetal intake?
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

You should be able to get enough power out of a C-460 Ford with the cast single carb to make that program.

Fast small block in the class right now is at just under 990 HP, fast big block probably about 1250 HP.

Consider the current SS/AH record at 8:54 with ~3175 lbs. and about 920 HP while you're trying to assess what you need to run about .2 faster to be a bad boy in your targeted class.

Do you currently run in that class?
bigpoppapreston

Post by bigpoppapreston »

RW TECH wrote:You should be able to get enough power out of a C-460 Ford with the cast single carb to make that program.

Fast small block in the class right now is at just under 990 HP, fast big block probably about 1250 HP.

Consider the current SS/AH record at 8:54 with ~3175 lbs. and about 920 HP while you're trying to assess what you need to run about .2 faster to be a bad boy in your targeted class.

Do you currently run in that class?
No I do not currently run the class not but I am building a naturally aspriated motor that will be able to compete.

I currently have the C-460 cylinder heads along with a trick flow A-460 tunnel ram intake with adapters to mate to the heads. I truthfully expect 1200 with a single carb as my heads flow only 501 cfm on the intake. :roll:

There is a Thor headed BBF floating out there that hasn't made it's debut yet and it made 1325 horsepower with a cast single intake.
-Poppy
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »

Pit the linkage on the outside and make a billet Block to make the carb one piece. AKA Single Carb.
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Poppy,

My point is the current ET's aren't a match for the claimed HP.

Rather than feeding into the local rock-star mentality & breaking your own piggy bank trying to keep up with the dyno race, put as much or more focus on the car.

The SS/A HEMI cars don't make near the power but weigh within a hundred or two and run nearly the same ET's.

Otherwise, is there no possibility for you to send the heads to Jon Kaase or someone who has worked extensively with them to get the intake CFM up? As-is, it looks like you'd make a tad under 1200 HP, assuming the heads don't have other glitches.

A long time ago I goofed with one of those combinations and saw 40 HP between a sheet metal intake with 2 dominators vs. the cast intake with one of those carbs on it.
jeffmckc
Pro
Pro

Post by jeffmckc »

Can you run EFI, with one throttle body, just moving air, this looks to me to be the down fall of the single four tunnel ram is getting the fuel to go not the air.
2007 HotRod Drag Week Winner SB/NA
2012 HotRod Drag Week Winner SS SB/NA
Fastest/Quickest Small Block N/A
Stock Suspension Car on Drag Week since 2007
9.67@ 139 with a 1.42 60' thru the Mufflers Dot tires
Thanks RFD Heads and Intakes
Gary Blair
Pro
Pro

Re: Anyone test and compared a single plane vs tunnel ram w(

Post by Gary Blair »

bigpoppapreston wrote:Anyone tested and compared a single plane intake in contrast to a tunnel ram with a single carb top?

What was your personal findings?

Thanks in advance!
-Poppy
Hi Poppy,
Are you running a BBF? A heads?
Gary,
bigpoppapreston

dfree383 wrote:Pit the linkage on the outside and make a billet Block to make the carb one piece. AKA Single Carb.
no good. not acceptable with the rules.
jeffmckc wrote:Can you run EFI, with one throttle body, just moving air, this looks to me to be the down fall of the single four tunnel ram is getting the fuel to go not the air.
yep you can use efi and that would be great however i'm not trying to break the bank at least for now. :lol: lol [/quote][/code]
gary blair wrote:Hi Poppy,
Are you running a BBF? A heads?
Gary,
no gary i have C-460 heads with adapter to mate to the A-460 tunnel ram.
-Poppy
jeffmckc
Pro
Pro

Post by jeffmckc »

I understand :roll: I am switching now if I would have bought it first it would have been cheaper. :lol:
bigpoppapreston

jeffmckc wrote:Can you run EFI, with one throttle body, just moving air, this looks to me to be the down fall of the single four tunnel ram is getting the fuel to go not the air.
in fact i really like your thinking.
-Poppy
jeffmckc
Pro
Pro

Post by jeffmckc »

you can get single 2500 cfm throttle bodys and then you are just moving air your single will work great for that
bigpoppapreston

jeffmckc wrote:I understand :roll: I am switching now if I would have bought it first it would have been cheaper. :lol:
no kidding!
-Poppy
bigpoppapreston

jeffmckc wrote:you can get single 2500 cfm throttle bodys and then you are just moving air your single will work great for that
yep accufab has them.

man i really like your thinking. lol
-Poppy
jeffmckc
Pro
Pro

Post by jeffmckc »

it will give you a data logger and a close to pefect tune (if you are not a wiz) and more across the board TQ. You have to have a pump and reg any how. Hope this helps
GrannySShifting

Post by GrannySShifting »

efi isnt hugely expensive if you consider you may end up buying mult carbs/intake trying things switching for different races etc.
PSI
G.B., M.D.