Source-supplier for custom wheels?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: Source-supplier for custom wheels?

Post by mk e »

They say the wheel are now ready to ship, hopefully they arrive.
mmexport1565061657303.jpg

I am just a little sad I decided to do my design and not just take the dragon wheels......maybe next time :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
WoundUp

Post by WoundUp »

SupStk wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:34 pm
midnightbluS10 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:55 am Wrong link posted above. Sorry

https://www.smithers.com/careers/our-co ... -locations

The Smithers Group would be the name I was looking for.
Is this correct for wheel certification? In the materials section it appears to be mostly related to pharmaceuticals and chemicals.

Mark, I like the looks of those wheels and their willingness to incorporate upgrades to your specs. Have a feeling this will turn out well. Gotta say I was skeptical at first!
Found this on Google by searching for "Smithers wheel testing".

https://www.smithersrapra.com/testing-s ... el-testing

SMITHERS GROUP LOGIN
Smithers Rapra MENU
Basket
Search

Automotive
Wheel Testing
Investing in wheel testing to meet or exceed client needs can help you earn the trust of both new and existing clients. Our laboratories perform precisely controlled and repeatable wheel testing to meet clients’ exact specifications. Using our wheel rim testing services for aftermarket parts will help you understand the life of the wheel, your liability position, and your warranty potential.

At our laboratories in Ravenna, Ohio and Suzhou, China, Smithers wheel testing capabilities include a number of standard and custom test options. Our wheel testing specifications cover a wide variety of industry standard tests including SAE, SFI, ABNT, ASTM and ISO as well as real-world and on-road tests such as torque retention studies. Some evaluation areas include:

Dynamic radial and cornering fatigue
Torsional fatigue
Hydrostatic burst tests
Impact testing
Strain gauging/stress analysis
Rim contour/dimensional checks
Rim flange strength
Metallurgical tests
Coatings analysis
Forensic investigation
In keeping with recent trends toward larger wheel sizes on SUVs and trucks, Smithers has invested in a new wheel testing machine that can accommodate passenger wheels up to 24 inches in diameter. The new machine has a computer controlling load, speed and deflection, and digital data storage and analysis.

The lab is fully equipped to perform a number of common wheel evaluations, including:

Fatigue Testing: Standard radial and cornering fatigue tests on all size wheels.
Impact Testing: Includes a standard 13-degee side impact test in accordance with SAE J175.
Hydrostatic Burst Testing: Using compressed water, the burst pressure of steel and alloy wheels is tested to determine the margin of safety above the rated wheel pressure.
Strain Gauging / Stress Analysis: Customized strain analysis protocols per your specific requirements.
Rim Contour / Dimensional Checks: Precise measurements of rim contour dimensions in accordance with Tire and Rim Association standards to confirm the wheel rim geometry will allow the tire to seat properly. Dimensions include rim width, drop center height, bead flange height, slope angle, and heel radius.
Metallurgical Testing: Metallurgical analysis of steel and aluminum wheels and other components.
Coatings Analysis: Evaluation of wheel coatings in accordance with ASTM standards and customized test protocols for coatings on steel wheels and alloy wheels. Standard test protocols include:
ASTM B117 - Salt Spray
ASTM D3170 - Chip Resistance
Thanks to many years of combined experience in wheel manufacturing, testing, and design, the experts at Smithers Rapra can deliver reliable, accurate testing and customized solutions for your testing needs and challenges.

CONTACT US ABOUT WHEEL TESTING >
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

That is a very long list of tests that I probably should be doing.......but it just don't make sense on a 1 -off design. They say they know what they're doing and did make a few small changes to get them to where they felt the design was safe so hopefully......

They shipped from the factory and I think made it on last Wed's boat and will arrive 25-30 days from that time, if not it will be this week's boat and another week of waiting. I'm excited to see them.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

It should be wheel day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Arrive they did. I have to hang out at work to meet a vendor who flew in for dinner but my wife was kind enough to txt pics.

Then she sent a note saying they're very light.....I love it when she talks like that :)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

They look nice (to me)and it think the fronts are right. The tears have the smaller front hub bore, I specifically told them about that.....oh well, 30 min on the mill and they'll fit. Overall I'm happy.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

I came here looking to see if the wheels arrived.

Anyways congratulations on a deal that turned out well!
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I had a request to do a 17" set for another hotrodder 308..its got a F355 engine/trans. Got the design done, everything checked...they had asked for q coupke changes on my 18" set after they ran an FEA on it.

The interesting part is the guy told me this order would be $370 shipping not the $370 he charged me because he ate the tariffs on my order because he'd told they wouldn't Impact my stuff.....couldn't ask for a more honest vendor.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer