Composite Quarter Elliptic Springs

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

agertz1
Composite Quarter Elliptic Springs

Post by agertz1 »

Is currently semi, still easy to rate test first 1/2" of compression. Divide by 2 for new rate ? Inverted to create more " roll caster gain" as upper link to
straight axle. May use a curved upper clamp on fixed end,( rising rate). Near clamp points, attach anti roll bar, as need.
Thoughts ? Thanks, Art.
In-Tech
Vendor

Re: Composite Quarter Elliptic Springs

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
It appears to me you are way ahead of the curve, just curious if the spring and holder(s) is in a near or no friction environment so it doesn't change during environment with large sway high movement.

Of course not completely attainable even with needles, just seems more attainable than with bushings. Just curious. My mind might be in a different space than yours :lol:

An elliptic spring is very interesting, especially in environments where opposite winding interference could help with damping. The only elliptic testing I have ever done was hollow stem, I've never heard of hollow stem winding extruded to wire. Sounds cool =D>
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

agertz1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:50 pm Is currently semi, still easy to rate test first 1/2" of compression. Divide by 2 for new rate ? Inverted to create more " roll caster gain" as upper link to
straight axle. May use a curved upper clamp on fixed end,( rising rate). Near clamp points, attach anti roll bar, as need.
Thoughts ? Thanks, Art.
What's the application ?

Going to 1/4 elliptic then of course needing to add an antiroll bar. :?
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

Roll caster gain on a solid axle with an upside down leaf spring as the upper connection ala AC Ace?
Maybe with the lower link attached in front of the axle instead of the typical aft axle position on 4WD pickups.
Draw some simple diagrams and figure out how you can add compliance to the leaf spring connection at the king pin so you don't try to make it twist during operation.
Caster gain is easy to achieve in an SLA suspension, not so much in a solid axle.
agertz1

Post by agertz1 »

V16 street roadster, about 1,600 lbs. Front springs and lower radius rods in urethane or heims. Yes, limited amount of roll caster gain,
( bushing compliance). Fixed end of inverted spring mounted on top of frame/engine girdle. Curved upper clamp to provide rising rate.
roverman

Post by roverman »

Anti-roll bar only if needed. Between low CG and rising-rate spring, might be enough. Inner pivot of leaf is horizontal sperical bearing.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

How much spring travel and what will be limiting it?

Back in the bad old days, my guru told me, "Any suspension design can be made to work if you don't let it."
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering