Another Slick Question

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Cfin
Pro
Pro

Another Slick Question

Post by Cfin »

Can someone set me right on Goodyear slick compounds. We have got D-1, D-3, D-5 etc....soft with slow wear, medium with good wear??? Its all alittle confusing.
We run a 32 x 14 slick, ladder bars, 3050lbs and have poor traction conditions at our local track. Which compound would be my best choice?
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Slick compound

Post by Adger Smith »

There is more to good traction than just the compound.
The weight, HP, Type of race car, wheel design.. Ect Ect should be considered in your choice. Slicks can have different crown, sidewall strength & sidewall construction to enhance desired performance. Your best bet would be talk to a Goodyear tire engineer or Goodyear rep at a NHRA National event.
Don't go for just the sales pitch.. Go for the technical guy. there is always at least one there that will get involved in a question & answer session.
Just because Bubba so and so uses xyz tire doesn't mean it will work for you. Get good professional advice, then do some work testing.
My .02, Hope it helps
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
Cfin
Pro
Pro

Post by Cfin »

Thanks for the reply. In our location (NZ) we don't have access to reps or tech guys....they just aren't here.....hence I am just after some general knowledge from you guys.
We basically run on the straight of a race circuit, no traction compound is applied, no concrete....nothing. Its about as basic as it gets, hence no-one is really getting good traction. Its a door car, 3050lbs and alittle over 600hp.
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Compounds

Post by Adger Smith »

OK.. then this site might help you: http://www.carrollshelbyent.com/tires_index.cfm
They list engineering data as available. If you can't locate the info you need e-mail them. hope this helps.
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
Cfin
Pro
Pro

Post by Cfin »

Yes, I had found that on the Goodyear site. I was kinda hoping for more seat-of-the -pants knowledge/experience.
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Slick compound will need adjustment to compensate for your asphalt conditions. An educated guess says to try a softer compound. You need to stage car by finding best traction area to run in. Walk strip area before race noting asphalt condition, flatness, amount of rubber, etc..... Pick your line based on your findings and keep accurate records of results based on conditions. Remember to factor in temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, wind speed and direction. Adjust starts to get best 60' time. Let us know how you do.
hotrod
Pro
Pro

slicks

Post by hotrod »

Have you run a series of tests at different tire pressures and recorded the changes in ET?

Have you had someone video the car from both sides so you can see what it is really doing on launch ?

Have you taken tire temps after a hard launch to see how hard your working the tire and if your tire temps are uniform across the tread and tire to tire?

I don't have a lot of experience with slicks but those are the first tests I do on street cars to figure out a first step regarding what the car wants.

Larry
Cfin
Pro
Pro

Post by Cfin »

No, I have done none of that, though we found that anything over 7lbs pressure any traction suffers more and more as the pressure rises.
The slicks I have are shot and weathered, so I am looking at buying new slicks shortly....they take some time to get here. It is winter now and the track is closed for 5-6 months so any testing is out.
I am guessing D1's (soft) are most likely the best choice....the ones on it were/are D5's (14.5").