Ballast ...

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Stocker

Ballast ...

Post by Stocker »

Well, it looks like NHRA is changing it weight breaks for Stock and SuperStock from 1/2 lb. to 1.0 lb. ... In my current situation, it looks like I'll have to add 145-160 lbs. or remove 120.. Removing will be next to impossible, w/o totally going thru everything, changing bar to Chro-Mo , stripping paint, steering box etc... So it looks like I'll be putting some lead into my car... question is... where is the best location ? It's a small block powered 67 Camaro with a 4-speed... Any suggestions ?
Mike..
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

This should start a debate :D

Love those wheelstands, so I vote the rear bumper.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
18winZ
Re: Ballast ...

Post by 18winZ »

Stocker wrote:Well, it looks like NHRA is changing it weight breaks for Stock and SuperStock from 1/2 lb. to 1.0 lb. ... In my current situation, it looks like I'll have to add 145-160 lbs. or remove 120.. Removing will be next to impossible, w/o totally going thru everything, changing bar to Chro-Mo , stripping paint, steering box etc... So it looks like I'll be putting some lead into my car... question is... where is the best location ? It's a small block powered 67 Camaro with a 4-speed... Any suggestions ?
Mike..
I should not be telling you this but you can hide it in your rear bumper. Get it as far back as you can unless the car is pulling the wheels off the ground, then put it up front. Also, what type of wheels are you running? If you are using LW Aluminum wheels, sell them and get some steel ones. That should be worth a bunch right there.
It Aint a Sport if it cant kill you, its a game!
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Ballast ...

Post by speedtalk »

18winZ wrote: If you are using LW Aluminum wheels, sell them and get some steel ones. That should be worth a bunch right there.
Are you saying steel wheels are quicker?
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
18winZ
Post by 18winZ »

Good point. You're right, scratch that and stick with "sprung weight" instead of the unsprung weight. I dont know what I was thinking, guess I wasn't!!!!

chris
It Aint a Sport if it cant kill you, its a game!
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

No problem, I've been there :D
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
hookdaddy

Post by hookdaddy »

Len has announced NO change for 2005 so you're good for now.
Don Scholl
V.P. Sales & Marketing
S&W Race Cars