Steering adjustment/alignment question

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Steering adjustment/alignment question

Post by Belgian1979 »

I have a 1979 corvette with it's orginal steering system (column/steering housing/pitman arm/ center link etc.) This car as a power ram cylinder to assist steering. No progressiveness in the power steering.

I set alignment and she seem to run correct, straight forward no pull to either side, but she's still twitchy to steering input and I find that the steering returnability is a bit minimal. I'm currently at 1/32 toe in. Would more toe-in help with this issue ?

Thanks

Yves
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert
Re: Steering adjustment/alignment question

Post by flyingwedge »

Since it is power assisted, I would put the positive caster near spec. limit. This should improve steering wheel return and handling. Rear steer and all is tight ? Standard scrub radius ? Good Luck, flyingwedge.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

flyingwedge wrote:Since it is power assisted, I would put the positive caster near spec. limit. This should improve steering wheel return and handling. Rear steer and all is tight ? Standard scrub radius ? Good Luck, flyingwedge.
I have modified upper A-arms that give some 5,5° caster, whereas stock was a 2,75° maximum. So in that area I'm good. Wheels are stock size. Ball joints are new as is almost anything on the front suspsension and steering.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Belgian1979 wrote:
flyingwedge wrote:Since it is power assisted, I would put the positive caster near spec. limit. This should improve steering wheel return and handling. Rear steer and all is tight ? Standard scrub radius ? Good Luck, flyingwedge.
I have modified upper A-arms that give some 5,5° caster, whereas stock was a 2,75° maximum. So in that area I'm good. Wheels are stock size. Ball joints are new as is almost anything on the front suspsension and steering.
Caster has been creeping ever higher on Corvettes for fifty years. I believe the current spec is over 8°. Just saying...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
pitts64

Post by pitts64 »

Set the caster to the GM max setting.
Set the camber to zero.
Toe in 1/32 to the cars center line on each side.
Make sure you have the front wheels set for the maximum back space. Especially with that car.

Call Lee and get a steering box. The steering box needs a heavier torsion bar. I have a Lee 14:1 with a 30 pound torsion bar on my 69 el Camino. No matter what I set the caster to it still snaps right back to center after a turn, all I need to do is loosen up my grip on the steering wheel. I also have a 13" Grant steering wheel.

Think about it, manual steer cars have the same alignment settings as the same car with power steering, yet the manual steer cars bounce right back to center.
Call Lee they will set you straight. Herb Addams had the same car as you and loved it. It might be a good idea to get one of his suspension books. He was never into spending all kinds of money on fancy parts.
pitts64

Post by pitts64 »

MadBill wrote: Mon May 20, 2013 10:34 pm
Belgian1979 wrote:
Caster has been creeping ever higher on Corvettes for fifty years. I believe the current spec is over 8°. Just saying...
+
Thats what I have my 69 el Camino set at. +8 drivers side +8.30 passengers side. zero camber 1/32 1/32 toe in. My car goes down the road straight as an arrow without the camber. Besides, with +8 positive caster, once I turn the wheel, the camber is there.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

I'm unfamiliar with the ram set up. Where would the torsion bar ( devise that sets the effort be) . I would look at that system because 5.5 castor is a fair amount. I do my own alignments so I would have no problems going to 8 to try it first. Well the only problem would be me getting up and down from the shop floor 40 times.
USMC_Spike
Pro
Pro

Post by USMC_Spike »

@pitts64,

I have a 69 chevelle, I think it has a 3 bolt, 12:1 ratio. My front bar is the giant one that HO suspension
used for these GM body cars.

I put a Hotchkis upper a arm (the '78 Caprice spindles [the old stye]) and had the suspension set to Hotchkis specs.

This car is a danger to drive. When you point the steering anywhere, it just keeps going
and it never comes back to center. For example, if you get the slightest distraction going around a bend
you'll end up off the road or in accident unless you correct the steering in time. Yes, I"ve had a few close calls.

--thx Spike

pitts64 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:37 pm Set the caster to the GM max setting.
Set the camber to zero.
Toe in 1/32 to the cars center line on each side.
Make sure you have the front wheels set for the maximum back space. Especially with that car.

Call Lee and get a steering box. The steering box needs a heavier torsion bar. I have a Lee 14:1 with a 30 pound torsion bar on my 69 el Camino. No matter what I set the caster to it still snaps right back to center after a turn, all I need to do is loosen up my grip on the steering wheel. I also have a 13" Grant steering wheel.

Think about it, manual steer cars have the same alignment settings as the same car with power steering, yet the manual steer cars bounce right back to center.
Call Lee they will set you straight. Herb Addams had the same car as you and loved it. It might be a good idea to get one of his suspension books. He was never into spending all kinds of money on fancy parts.
FOUND: new improved smaller non-ricer pic
XiomarBorjas

Post by XiomarBorjas »

Thank for sharing.
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

Attached are Some suggestions from John Greenwood in Corvette Fever articles from the mid 1980s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.